Euthanizing Anabantoidei - Betta Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
It releases a ton of CO2 into the water and essentially, the fish suffocates, but not the "painful" way. They go to sleep like we do when the O2 runs out. At least that's how I believe it works, but I won't put money on it.

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
It releases a ton of CO2 into the water and essentially, the fish suffocates, but not the "painful" way. They go to sleep like we do when the O2 runs out. At least that's how I believe it works, but I won't put money on it.
That's exactly what I read.
:shark:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Check the article forum ???????????

Just some additional thoughts for those who don't want to read the article.
in the case of the beatta that took 20-30 miinutes, the person writing the thread did not mix the oil. they added fish to water and dripped in oil. I imagine any fish would have a similar reaction and time line in this case beatta or not.

Labyrynth fish are capable of breathing air, but also use their gills, and will quickly succumb to clove oil or other decent anesthetics whether or not they swim to the top for air.

I hav not researched the alka Seltzer, If Co2 is the way it kills I would be concerned. co2 and oxygen do not inhibit each other in water if I Understand things correctly. so there would still be adequate o2 despite high co2 levels. co2 does however turn water to carbonic acid which will kill fish if the ph drops extremely low. I do not know if this would or would not be a good humane method, but I would definately do some extensive research before I put a fish through it.

:rant2: And never ever flush a fish that is nt dead for sure. even if dead it is probably a better practice to put it in the trash or the flower garden. Live fish can and will end up in wild waterways, and this is one of the methods of introducing non-native specie. Aside from all other environmental moral and ethical issues, the more problems this hobby causes the more trouble we will have. Kill the fish before it leaves your home one way or another.
dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store