fahrenheit 9/11

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
While I feel much more safe knowing as few countries as possible have "weapons of mass destruction", I often wonder what makes the US government think we can have these weapons but nobody else can.

Why is it we should have supreme control over all countries who are deemed economically unstable??

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
WW2 was not about the holocaust. i never said that. i said that it was just.... and a reason was the holocaust.
It was a just war because of the holocaust, but the war wasent because of the holocaust. So I take it, it wasent a just war then? Odd sort of circular logic you have going there.

If millions of people are being killed wouldn't it be better to send a few thousand to die in war in order to protect a million? i would think that would make sense. all lives are equal and just as valuable as each other.
Why does that logic not apply to Iraq?

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by aquariumfishguy
While I feel much more safe knowing as few countries as possible have "weapons of mass destruction", I often wonder what makes the US government think we can have these weapons but nobody else can.
Er, dont believe in gun control then, do ya?

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
*blinks*

millions of people are being killed in Iraq? Where? by who?

It was a just war because of the holocaust, but the war wasent because of the holocaust. So I take it, it wasent a just war then? Odd sort of circular logic you have going there.
why do you keep twisting my words around! stop. ONE reason in my mind the war was more justified than the Iraq war is the stopping of the holocaust. Saving of millions of lives by giving thousands.

i do not see that anywhere in the Iraq war. If anything i have seen images of innocent small towns being blown apart.

Slipknottin, while you keep picking the things i say apart why dont you offer up your take on the war? you seem to be all for it. why exactly?

PS- i was thinking the same thing AFG. i really dont see where the American government gets off on thinking they have the right to have them and no one else can. If we all had them we would be too **** scared to nuke each other. If no one had them it would also be great. But if only a couple countries have them everyone is scared.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by ~*LuvMyKribs*~
*blinks*

millions of people are being killed in Iraq? Where? by who?
Thats why I asked earlier how many had to be killed before you think we should act. I didnt say millions were killed, but it surely is many thousands.

i do not see that anywhere in the Iraq war. If anything i have seen images of innocent small towns being blown apart.
:confused: ok.

Slipknottin, while you keep picking the things i say apart why dont you offer up your take on the war? you seem to be all for it. why exactly?
I pick your things apart, because they all contradict and dont add up.

And I still say that saying every countryshould be allowed to have WMDs is the equivalent of saying all people should be allowed to own whatever firearm they want.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Now really, if we were comparing people saved vs. people killed, and the higher the ratio the more just the war is, then this war is far better off than WWII was.

Some numbers-

Allied death count in WWII- ~40 million
Allied troops killed in WWII- ~15 million

combined german and austria death count for the holocaust- ~6 million

So people saved - say 6 million, and people killed lets say 15 million (even though a huge amount of civilians were killed)

So thats what, .4:1?
If we included civilian deaths its like
.15:1.

Now take Iraq, Saddam and his sons are believed to have either directly or indirectly been responsible for at least 8,000 deaths

Allied deaths in Iraq so far are at something like 800

Thats like a ratio of 10:1.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Well if America wants all the countries to disarm everyone's weapons then THEY SHOULD TOO!

haha its so weird how they think they can go on building nukes yet attack other countries to disarm thiers.

So your saying that if WW2 never happend things would be better than they are now?

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
I love my country and I served my time..but I despise the government and its lies..but its the nature of the beast..it will never change only get worse. I'm glad Im as old as I am and gettin older every day. The state of the entire world makes me sick to my stomach !

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I guess I could preface by saying that I agree, in principal with AFG's statement about wmd's.

However, despite the fact that I do not hold much regard for the current administration, I'm quite happy that there are democratically run countries that hold arsenals of devastating weapons. Or at the very least, are vastly technologically superior to unstable countries. No, this doesn't just apply to the USA, it include Europe, Canada, Japan, etc. Why? because this allows us to impose some form of responsible useage of such horrible implements. It's nice to say that no one should have any (same goes with guns), but until everyone agrees (never), it can't happen. So until that time comes, I'm glad that governments where the people ultimately make the decisions are the ones with the upper hand.

I do not agree with the arrogance shown by the bilateral invasion of Iraq by the USA and Britain (yeah, there were other countries involved, but let's be honest). I never believed they're reasons for the invasion, and I opposed it as such. While history has justified my point of view, the ousting of Saddam was a very good thing, and the attempt to bring democracy to Iraq about as noble a cause as possible. If they had made that they're argument, and included the fact that Saddam had refused to comply with the 1991 (is that the year?) armistice, I think I would have even supported them, or at least given it serious thought. I also think that they would have gained UN support on those grounds. Added bonus, even though I believe that a good part of their motivation was greed and cronyism, that may have been generally overlooked since they would be going in with a noble cause.

As for WWII, it was inarguably a noble cause. Holocaust notwithstanding, Hitler had already annexed Austria and was working his way through Europe before enough countries joined together to hold him back. A pity the States hadn't joined in at the beginning, might have been a different war. The bottom line is that Hitler had to be stopped.

WWI was a different story entirely. It started with an assassination and blew up from there along old alliances and, dare I say it, hurt feelings and grudges.

LuvMyKribs, I know what you're trying to say, but Slip is right, your logic does seem rather circular, ends justifying the means. However, Slip, it seems that you're arguing for the sake of arguing. Cough - Dethjam - cough.;) Now, can't we all just get along?:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store