'False' Siamese Algae eater? PICS!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WeeNe858

AC Members
Dec 16, 2006
CAE definitely, I can tell that by the head/face...
its just a different colored CHINESE algae eater

1st one is a CHINESE algae eater (sucker mouth and hard head) 2nd one is an oto (triangular head and sucker mouth) and the 3rd is a SIAMESE algae eater (No sucker mouth, whiskers)

IME.. the chinese algae eater is the best at cleaing up, the siamese did ok but prefered food and the oto is to slow and needs a pack to clean a tank

algae_eater.jpg otocinclus%20affinis.jpg sae2.jpg

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Thanks again everyone! It's definately the 1st image there WeeNe858. I would agree w/ the concensis: It's a CAE

My concern at this point is I have him in my 75G tank w/ 2 Rams, 3 Corys and 1 Oto atm. I have 4 Aust. Rainbows to be picked up tomorrow and I was planning on rounding the tank off w/ 4 Angels.

Will he be co-habitable or should I just bite the bullet and return him right off? Maybe I should wait? I hate stressing any fish out more than necessary by putting him back ina a bag and returning him for example, but if he is a problem later on, the end result could be worse...?

Thoughts? I know someone already suggested returning him, and that is where I am heading unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks again all, this has been very informative! You guys are GREAT! :D

aussienative

AC Members
Feb 23, 2006
brisbane, Australia
see how he goes... and don't pull him out at the very first sign of aggression, let him get used to the new tank mates and see if he settles down( If he plays up in the first place)

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
The tank is big enough to support him. But I would caution against 4 angels as well.
As a result of the CAE or in general? I havn't made any descions obviously, and I still need ot do a lot of reading up on Angels before I proceed (if I do), but I would welcome any insights.

Thanks!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would say in general. It is always so hard to tell when buying young angels just how big they get as adults. A nice pair would be lovely and not too crowded, giving all fish lots of room. You could even add a few more cories (which I suggest as they will be far more interestintg in a group of say 5-7).

Bunjji

Registered Member
Dec 4, 2010
Chinese Algae Eater

fballguy, I am sorry to say you are wrong. the fish that you own is a CHINESE algae eater ( I have 3 ). Proof: search chinese algae eater in google images, you will be shown pictures of fish similar to yours.

0tto

AC Members
Oct 24, 2010
haha did you by any chance register and create an account just so that you could tell "fballguy" he was wrong 3 years ago??

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
Now that's funny! I wonder how long he was lurking, before he decided to strike?!?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store