farlowella fatty

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fabsroman

AC Members
Sep 30, 2008
West Friendship, MD
Over the last 2 months, my Royal Farlowellas have laid eggs 3 times. The first time, I had no clue what they were and scraped them off the glass because I thought they were pond snail eggs. The second time, they hatched while I was in Florida on vacation, but in doing maintenance today I saw three of the little buggers and am hoping that there are a lot more because there were about 40 eggs in that clutch. They just laid their 3rd set of eggs yesterday or today and I am going to try to be more on top of these and be ready for when they hatch so that I can transfer them to a grow out tank or my plant refugium that is only inhabited by snails with a ton of algae on the glass.

I have 2 females and a male in a 75 gallon tank, and I can always tell when the females are about to lay eggs. They get some pretty big bellies.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
The pics in the first post in this thread may help you some. If you look closeley you can see the white dot between her fins which I think is a tube.

Farlo eggs dont become wigglers, they develope fully and hatch out able to swim. If you have them in a community tank, my fish tell me freshly hatched farlos are relished as a delicacy. They are also the hardest fry I have ever tried to raise. The trick is getting them beyond about 6 months.

fabsroman

AC Members
Sep 30, 2008
West Friendship, MD
I'm just going to see how it all goes with the Farlowellas. If I can get them past the 6 month stage, fine. Otherwise, so be it. I think I'll be successful over time with some experimentation here and there. Between the mystery snail eggs, the farlowella eggs, and my plants growing like weeds, it is utterly nuts. Never thought this hobby would get this involved.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Hi,
Two questions: I put my questions in bold--easier on the eyes.

The pics in the first post in this thread may help you some. If you look closeley you can see the white dot between her fins which I think is a tube.
At the risk of being very stupid--what picture? I guess I am not looking in the correct place.

They are also the hardest fry I have ever tried to raise. The trick is getting them beyond about 6 months.
Why is this? I haven't really found much in the way of information related to breeding let alone raising fry. Again, at the risk of being stupid, Why are they difficult to get beyond 6 months? Is it because they are difficult and picky eaters when they can identify a food source?

Okay, so that was more than two questions. But I am new to bottom dwellers and I really like farlow's..........:rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store