Fed up!!!!! Ideas, anyone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tigris7

AC Members
Apr 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
NeonJulie said:
The unpleasant thing as was pointed out in a Stocking thread, is what are we newbies supposed to do? Half the time even the experts don't agree on something as simple as How Many Neon Tetras Go in a 10g?
I guess you have to make a choice and choose one or two people to listen to and ignore the others. Try a 'mentor' for a while and see how it works. That's what worked for me. It can be confusing to listen to too many people at once.

And I offer this general rule hesitantly as I am afraid that someone like MinnesotaGal or Bitsy will accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about even though I have kept fish successfully (successfully mean very few losses over the course of 20 years on and off), the general rule I follow is at max, an inch of fish per 2.5 gals of water.

Tigris7

AC Members
Apr 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
minnesotagal866 said:
I strongly disagree with the previous article. I don't know any long term experienced and successful fish keepers that would agree that a 25% water change once a month is sufficient.
Umm... I think keeping fish, on and off for 20 years, fresh and salt, and having done quite a bit of reading on fish while working at an excellent LFS in Washington DC when I was younger, qualifies me as a 'long term experienced and successful fish keeper'

In my current African Cichlid tanks and other community tank, which have been running 2.5 years, I have 0% loss due to some unkown mysterious reason.

True, be discerning about whatever reading you do and if so inclined, do some of your own research to find 'the truth'. It's always good to understand both sides of an argument.

I still maintain that 50% water changes should only be performed in an emergency. Obviously it is working for some people, but if you consider the attached image, my contention is that frequent and/or large water changes disrupt the the normal growth of 'beneficial' bacteria that break down ammonia and Nitrites.

Think back on when you first cycled your tank, it took a month didn't it?

So it takes about thirty days for a complete cycling.

Water changes introduce uncycled water (no beneficial bacteria).

Risnsing filter media and gravel vaccuming will seriously disrupt the concentration of the bacteria.

Process of re-establishing colonies begins.

Before colonies are fully re-established, a week later, another water change is performed, again disrupting the cycle because remember, it takes a full thirty days.

This is a simplified view of how I see what is going on in a tank. The article I posted previously is, as MinnesotaGal pointed out, written by a commercial source and I too am suspicious of anything written for commercial purposes, but as I said in my posting, I only did a quick search on Google. (http://www.pets-warehouse.com/waterchg.htm)

So if you disagree strongly enough, please educate me, but with more that just an opinion which assumes what an indiscrimminant number of other experts would say. Seriously, I would appreciate further education on this because I have learned that only one thing in life is for sure.... everything I know is subject to revision.

aquarium_nitrogen_cycle.jpg

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It appears the topic originally posted by the OP has been answered, as a PM by me to them has affirmed.

While there may be some educational value to the recent posts, it is also bordering on being arguementative, without any real direction other than re-hashing viewpoints that disagree.

If anyone wants to start a new thread please do so.

FYI, in case you missed it, I think the Jensons signature is quite applicable...

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle

PoorChipotle

AC Members
Jul 17, 2009
hands down, zebra danios.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store