Fed up!!!!! Ideas, anyone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
I think it's always bad to argue in absolutes. Most of the time, you can break even so-called "iron rules" if you know what you are doing. Sometimes, even the "impossible" works.

This said, I will not blame anyone if I hear that he lost neons. Those caught in the wild are very demanding as far as the water quality goes, and those bred in the big fish farms are often degenerate and diseased. With neons, it's a bit of a lottery, and the odds are not overwhelmingly good.

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Jensons said:
Can I put a school of danios in my 10g? If so, I think I will. I love 'em!
They are very active, and the tank might be a bit small for their runs. It's not an ideal fit, although it might work.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
Hatchets will be just about as bad as neons. And they'd do a lot better with lots of live foods, like flightless fruitflies. Rummynose will be the same unless you've got soft acid water or are an experienced fishkeeper.

Lemon tetras seem to be easier, if they're healthy to begin with. Judging when tetras are at death's door and avoiding them when they're wasting away will help a lot. It's not always easy to bring back an underfed, wasted fish.

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
Sorry to bring this back.....

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but I have yet to add anything in since my last issue. I am acccepting responsibility for the tetra deaths and am looking forward to a continuing healthy, happy little fishy tank. I was jsut at my parent's and fell in LOVE with my Dad's Brilliant Rasboras! Species profiles I have looked at vary in the max size for these guys from 1.5 inches all the way to 3.5. Can anyone enlighten me as to the requirements for these beautiful fish? My Dad's tank is a 125g, so he's no help with the size requirements. As a refresher, I have a 10g with 3 cories, lightly planted and water params are 0,0, less than 10. Would B. Rasboras work? Thanks for looking!!!!

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I have seven brilliant rasboras in my ten gallon tank and they are doing just fine in there. However, they are the only thing in there besides the live plants. I am a little stumped as to what to put in there for algae.There is not a lot of algae but there is some.

I have to agree with you on the brilliant rasboras. They are really awsome fish and if the water conditions are right they really will show off thier colors especially under the lights. They are tight schoolers. It is cool to watch. For some reason, rasboras are often overlooked but I really like them and I think they are beautiful fish.

Marinemom

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
Thanks!!!

Hi Marinemom! I am totally going for these guys now. They are so-so-so-so very beautiful! I'm thinking 5, so that I only slightly os my tank. For your algae, what about a mystery snail (or do they eat plants, I forget) or maybe 2-3 ottos, they're super cute! :cool2:

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
My two cents (this and $1.47 will get ya a cup of coffee)

HAd problems with Neons when I first started out a little over a year ago (not long as some of you!), but that was due to my own ignorance; too many fish in an uncycled 10 gallon tank. Neons are now in a cycled 29 gallon (last count 15 of them-I think-hard to count as they zip all around in the plants...); haven't lost any for close to a year (now having said that, will go home and find the entire school belly up...)

Water changes-do a 50% every week. As said by the other poster (can't be bothered to go back and check who it was), I feel that fresh water is the best. In Nature, the fishies live in water that is replaced constantly, not the same 20 gallons all the time. Same reason I overfilter.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it is amazing how this thread went from someone venting about neons to ?? someones fish keeping practices.

jensen, you did nothing wrong..as a matter of fact 50% water changes are very common in aquarium keeping.
the problem with neons can vary mant times the neons aren't all that healthy to begin with.
Danios are great as are many of the rasorboras.. neons can be very sensitive.

shoe, I didn't say I did 50% water changes. Tho I may not be a pro at fish keeping I do feel I am also not inept.

I have several tanks (7 at the moment)ranging from 110 gallons to 10gallon I raise mostly cichlids discus and angels mostly along with rams keyholes etc. I do 50% changes on many of my smaller tanks..but average 30% 3 times a week on my discus tank and the same for angels. the other tanks get 30-40 % changes atleast 1Xweek.
I raise angel fish with three breeding pairs.
the only fish I have lost for no apparent reason were the neons. of the 2 black neons..I tried to save them as they were not all that healthy to begin with.
oddly the neons that died were in a planted tank that is kept pristine and were with three juvenile discus 2" weird how the neons died yet the discus thrive.

jenson..good luck and have fun with the new fish you choose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store