feeding eels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I have to admit, I was pointing a flashlight at the parrot, so I helped towards it's demise. Not sure if the eel would have seen it sleeping in the dark otherwise.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Morays have an excellent sense of smell, and have the nares what we call as nostrils, developed into tubes. Most fishes have two nostrils on each side of the head. Water passes in the anterior nostril and out through the posterior nostril. Under the skin, between the 2 nostrils, lies the nasal apparatus, which gives the fish its sense of smell.

For most fish species it is common for the 2 nostrils to be close together. In the Green Moray however, the nostrils are widely separated. The anterior nostrils, located on the snout are extended into tubes, whereas the posterior nostrils have shorter tubes and are situated above the eyes.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Do they actually unhinge their jaw, like a snake, to accomodate large fish?

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
The eel a long with the Tess and so not need the ability to expand their jaws anymore then they would have need to do for amongst its razor-like teeth (serrated), they have the ability to cut in half any large prey. Just like a shark could attack and bite its prey, only the shark would swim around you and wait for you to die so its an easier meal.

Towards the front of the upper jaw can be found two rows of teeth although along the rear of the jaw there is only one. Teeth on the roof of the mouth (known as vomerine teeth) of adults are also arranged in two rows. The lower jaw has a single row of teeth.

But the eel can expand it jaws nevertheless for some could expand less or more like for the yellowhead moray, it has the ability to expand its jaw so that it can take a prey that is 40% larger.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
It looked to me that the green moray I witnessed, ate the parrotfish whole, as it was still wriggling in it's tummy when it swam away.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
You mean that the eel was trashing its head and neck from side to side, is that it?

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Pufferpunk, You know what I should had said? That a 7' moray wouldn`t have any trouble in taking some 18" fish :)

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
The eel grabbed the fish from it's back. Then it spun it's whole body, like the death-roll an alligator makes. When the silt cleared a bit, the fish was in his mouth, head first. Then he swallowed it. A parrotfish is quite wide vertically--really seemed like a mouthfull. I did get a pic but it really needs to be professionally retouched (big cloud of silt in the way) & I can't afford it.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
In most cases of any eel catching its prey, it most of the time from behind and they spin around in a crazy way for one is to keep their prey off balance while they move it into position and at the same time either the eel injures the fish that it becomes unable to struggle for depending on the type of trigger fish in this method, the eel needs to nearly kill the trigger fish for if as large and if a Queen, clown or titan, etc. They im afraid may have a chance of escape if they struggle hard enough.

Also, if you ask around enough, there be some who can tell you that in what I say about the green or tess eels have the ability to bite in half a certain type of prey :)

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Oh, I believe you. Watched a film on 2 of them fighting & saw the huge chunks of flesh they had ripped out of each other! I am rarely afraid of any animals while diving--except the giant green morays. At night, since I'm a photographer, I have Hubby keep an eye out for them, so I don't run into one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store