feeding eels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
For many years myself I gone diving among the reefs and always looked forward to come upon one of these larger eels for know that if you take precautions not to cause the large eel(s) to bite, your nothing to fear for careless feedings in this case is one of the most carelessness I know of.
Perhaps you seen that video where this person is like feeding something in which I never learned of what it was that man was feeding, but it also resembled his fingers and after so many times of acting as if nothing could go wrong, in which it did, the man lost his thumb to that eel.

Now there are however to your idea that the eel acts in the feeding methods as the same, I am however putting a little something together for you to best understand this that the eel however not actually unhinge their jaw, like a snake as you think it be, but rather it can expand. And this expand differs more or less from one species to the next.

You see what I mean, you believe it only because you seen this on film somewhere.
But I gone diving many a times and the majority of my dives I came upon the Tess Moray the most and the Giant Moray was third to where the green was second. I always gone diving with a batch of fresh fish to be a more welcoming guess of the eels.

The most of what people in general understand about the eel is that their territorial in which isn`t a true understanding of the eel to where their only main aggressions be when hungry or some invader has entered their lair. Eels for the most part not look to do battle is it can be avoided for haven't you not heard from others that one time one lfs had all three large eel species in a 1000 gal tank.

I Said nothing in that thread itself where it was originally posted, but i did tell people that idea will not last for too long for the word that was posted at one time in RC was that all three eels, the Giant, Green and tess was biting at one another, but they never completely attack the other for the kill as some think they do.

And do know this that if I were to house one of these eels, it would be in a tank not smaller then 2500 gals and I be careful to where I place my hands.
I think I not have to wait on telling you this for the spelling on the part is correct, its called the "premaxillo ethmo vomerine block" in which its limits the mobility of the bordering elements of the upper jaw. But it do however assists as an excellent grasping and holding ability, which corresponds with a considerable mass of the adductor musculature of the jaw.

Buddy ><}}}}">

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Yes, I did see the "thumb-biting" video. That guy deserved it!

Here's a pic for ya:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Horrible? I took that pic. :p

Like this better? I can tell you like the toothy ones. This one looks like it needs dentures.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Alright, here's a toothy shot for ya!

Last edited:

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
The eels teeth are in there, its just hard to see at the angle its jaw is> And that is a far better pic then the other.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
So you prefer pics looking down their ominous throat?

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I prefer to look at anything to when it comes to eels and is this eel yours? I just a thought that maybe to make a thread to get the names of those who own any morays.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Those eels aren't mine, they live in the ocean. I just like to take pics.

I do keep a young snowflake moray though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store