female betta breeding reaction

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
if you look in my profile there is pictures of the tank im using minus the other fish but its still the same cave and plants and filter and heater, i have been slowly letting the water drop cuz i know they like it lower. Only reason im using the internal filter is because i cant use that one in my fry tank and my fry are currently using the sponge filter but that internal filter has a switch on it i can adjust the flow so its set to low. I have a air stone in there but it is off after he started blowing his nest. It would just be nice to be able to adjust the temp tho but its always at 78. When you put the female it do you rest her on the bottom in the jar or float her? You know what those plastic betta jars they use at like walmart? That is what im using to introduce her but she lives in my 20 gallon community tank when she not in his tank. Im gonna pull her out and float her for a day or two like you said, its kinda weird but i dont use nets with my bettas, i put my hand in there and they swim right in my hand and let me lift them out!! strange fish!!
yes rest her on the bottom..all the way..they breed best in low waters..if you have to turn the filter off put the media in the tank and lower it to about 4-5 inches...do you have substrate in the tank?

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
By the way i put her back in the cup inside of his tank and like almost instantly sure goes right back to her breeding stripes! She cant make up her mind!! I know the male really wants to breed cuz he will only chase her for like a second and go right back to his nest and doesnt pursue her just to murder her and i have yet to see him do any kind of damage to her what so ever! One thing i know i messes up on was is there is gravel in my tank and i know that can be bad when he goes to get his eggs but im either gonna convert it to a straight bare bottom breeder tank or just buy a bigger 10 gallon on and make that one! After i see how well this goes and i get a hang of it then i will try to breed my dwarf gouramis someday cuz im sure they are alot harder to breed but i could be wrong!! I have mastered livebearing fish but anyone can do that but keeping the fry to stay alive is a different story but i didnt fail at that, i just got sick of them giving birth at night and only waking up to a few fry cuz my greedy fish ate them so i got one of those hang tank breeders that mixes the water with air pump and i hope that works out good cuz i have like 4 different strains of platies ready to go at the end of the month but the fry i have now are those hybrid swordtail/platy ones, i seen how fat she was at the LFS and figured id get 15 fish for the price of one and it worked!! :Angel:

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
and one reason i have not lowered it extremly cuz there is a little pleco in there and im not sure if that would bother him or not. I dont buy chinese algae eaters cuz i have lost birthing females to them and i dont buy average plecos cuz they get to big!! The one in there is a clown pleco and in the bigger tank is a bristle nose both of them max out at 5 inches i think!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
please read the links I sent you.

If you can get them to breed do you have separate tanks ready for all the male fry?...you could be looking at separating 100 fish ..with daily water changes.

you will need the 20g for a grow out but depending on the size you get to survive you might need bigger....what are you plans with them? Its very hard to get rid of even 10 of them let alone the realistically 50 ish fish. ( they can have a few hundred eggs at once)

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
I have access to that stuff but i doubt they Will have more then 25-50 for their first time if they ever are successful and if they are i Will have everything good to go before they even are together. This is my first time breeding bettas and my lfs Will take any fish i raise even if they don't give me any money i just enjoy the process of breeding and raising quality fish. Id rather them sell my fish then some diseased poorly treated fish. They also would help with the food as well too and Im sure they would spare.some.tanks if it was a emergency ya know.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
well they will lay allot more eggs..its the survival rate you have to worry about witch is all up to you.

I would remove all the substrate you cannot keep the water as clean as these little guys will need it early in life with gravel.

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
Those are actually good sites and i have read alot into this. I measured the water level and its at 8 inches.i can grab a bare ten gallon tank tomorrow but it wouldn't have a hood or a heater or even be cycled so Im sure i should just see where the 5 gallon takes me but ill get it set up and start to cycle though! Btw, Im not doing this for any kind of financial gain, i could care less if i lose a bunch of money, i just enjoy the fulfillment of breeding and raising fish!! :)

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
I left her in there for close to two days, like a day and a half and her colors were bright as ever and her lines were dark and everytime he would come to see her he would dance like crazy and when he left she would try to follow him to the nest so i thought i would try it and she swam over to the nest right away and checked it out and then he came to see her and she freaked out and swam away and went back to her stress stripes! His nest is massive too. Its a bigger Styrofoam cup and he already overflowed it!! Ill leave her swimming around with him over night and if nothing has happened by the time i wake up should i take her out and try floating her for 2 straight days or leave her swimming with him for a extra night? I for sure thought she was ready!! Bettas are stressful!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store