Finally getting a Chevron Tang!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Dang, sorry about that :(

At least you have what you need in the future should you need a HT or QT.

Think you'll try another down the road?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
When you first posted the question, my thoughts were NO WAY do I want to try another one. Actually I was so depressed that I was wondering how I could just "get out of the hobby" for a while because the death of that fish took a toll on me. I don't get attached to my fish like I do with other pets like cats and dogs, probably because you don't really interact with fish too much. I don't name them, just call them their common names. On the other hand, I feel a huge responsibility to give the absolute best care I can for everything in my aquarium, especially the fish.

I made several major mistakes with this fish and what kills me inside is all the mistakes I knew better. I knew I should have QT'd the fish, but was just lazy. I knew there was a very very strong possibility of my potters angel attacking the tang, but I risked it at first and within just a minute of being placed in the tank a lot of damage was done. This particular fish was just shipped via 2 day air, not overnight for some reason, and then acclimated once when it was received, then again when I got it home that night, then placed into a tank and immediately attacked. Way to much stress and wounds from the start. I tried to do the best I could at the time, moved the tang to what I thought was a better environment, only to learn it wasn't. The next day (I got the fish home around 10pm and in the tank at 11pm) I setup a Hospital tank to do things properly at 11am the next day, only 12 hours after the fish first went into one of my tanks, but the damage was done and it was too much from that point on for the tang to handle. If I had done it correctly from the start I am sure it would have been a good fish.

But now, after several hours to go through the emotions, I am feeling better and now I think I probably will try another one when I can find it. Took me 10 years to find this one locally. I can probably find one online though, but getting one from one of the major reputable online places is difficult. Only seen them at a couple sites that I know nothing about.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I hear ya but don't beat yourself up too much. Sometimes the more difficult fish can do better going right into a mature display with plenty of rock (especially if the fish is a hider/grazer.

I have seen Chevrons pop up a bit in LADD a few time over the past few months and between them and Bluezoo, you should be able to find a nice healthy fish to start you off on the right foot,

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Thanks, this time I am doing it right.. QT tank has been running for over a month now. I tore it down completely and cleaned it really good and let it sit for a week to air dry after my last sick fish was in it and added 40lbs of live rock full of algae out of my sump into the QT tank for the Tang to graze on. I learned my lesson big time on my first attempt so I won't be making those mistakes again. I just hope a 29G won't stress out the tang too much.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds like a nice QT for that fish. I definitely think that will help.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
It has arrived, floated for 15 minutes in the bag to get temp adjusted and is now in a bucket getting drip acclimated for the next 45 minutes. After that it will be placed in a QT tank for at least 2 weeks to observe. Pictures to follow later this evening once it is adjusted to the QT tank. I don't want to put any lights on it right now to avoid stress but in the bucket it looks perfect from what I can tell.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
sorry to hear about the first one :( but I feel so happy for you! congrats on the new little guy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store