Finally getting a Chevron Tang!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Well, #2 just died today. No idea why. It was doing great, eating great, nothing visibly wrong at all. Got home today and stuck to my filter. Pulled it out and looked closely and not one thing wrong with it at all other than not being alive anymore. I called LiveAquaria right away and they immediately refunded my $ so that was great, although I would much rather have the fish instead. :( I think I am done with Chevron Tangs now.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
Do you think the cupramine possibly killed some unseen inverts in the chevron's tank, causing an ammonia spike? Did you test the water conditions during the week and a half you had the tang? The tank may have experienced a mini cycle, seeing as how you said you had nothing in the qt for six weeks prior to adding the tang. Just a thought. I'm sorry to hear about the tang's death. :(

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Yup, tested for ammonia daily and even was paying extra close attention to the tangs breathing and fins to check for ammonia burns.

Also tested copper 2x a day and never exceeded .25. I was still in the "ramp up" phase of copper treatment and hadn't even reached full strength yet. I was taking it very slowly. I did have a few asterina starfish that were starting to die from the copper, but only about 5 that I saw and today they are on the glass still moving around. Aiptasia also shriveled up from copper but didn't die. So I know copper levels were not high enough to even cause death to inverts.

With 40lbs of live rock pulled right out of my sump on my other tank and cycled for 6 weeks I doubted I was going to have any cycle problems but out of abundance of caution I was still testing for ammonia to make sure I still didn't get one.

I am really just left scratching my head this time. I really thought I did everything right from acclimation to QT and things seemed to be going very well. Only 1 day I saw a tiny problem and that was gone within 24 hours after adding first small dose of copper. At no time did the fish seem to be in distress of any kind. I know I am bummed again though because this is one fish I have wanted for a very long time and I think after this one I am calling it quits on any tangs until later on in life when I can build my "dream tank" which will be at least 800G.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sorry to hear the news :(

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
thats beat man im sorry

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Ya, I am really really bummed about this one but at least this time I do not have a guilty conscience about this one dying. First one I blame myself for, second one I can't do that because I feel I did everything possible in my power to make sure it was safe from harassment, well fed, good home, and I paid way more attention to the QT tank in terms of water quality than I do on my main tank and dosed/monitored meds and dosed on the low side to be extra cautious. I am just left with a loss for words and ideas on what caused the demise of the second tang, but it is now frozen in a zip lock bag in my freezer just in case LiveAquaria wanted it shipped back to do any testing to find out why it died, but from my short conversation with them they didn't seem to care about why it died at all. No questions about how I acclimated or QT'd the fish, I asked them if they wanted the dead fish back or even a photo to prove it had died but they didn't even want that. In theory I could have a live fish and getting my $ back but I am way to honest of a person to think of doing something like that and like I said before I would much rather have a healthy chevron tang than my $ back so I have no motive to do anything shady.

So that is the end of my Chevron Tang adventures for the foreseeable future, now onto trying to find and purchase that elusive Kuiteri wrasse for my tank.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
In theory I could have a live fish and getting my $ back but I am way to honest of a person to think of doing something like that and like I said before I would much rather have a healthy chevron tang than my $ back so I have no motive to do anything shady.

:clap:

i'm not a saltie (not yet anyway, lol), but i've been following this thread and the above is what i like to hear, from any fishkeeper :)

sorry to hear you lost #2.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Wow, I feel bad for you!!!!
It sounds to me like you did everything right with #2, so sad after all you went threw to end up loosing him :(

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
really sorry for your loss :( they look like beautiful fish. Don't blame yourself. It could have just been one of those deaths that nothing could have prevented.

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store