Finally going LED

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
So much reading... so many plan changes..

So now the plan is...

12 - XP-G cool whites
6 - XR-E Neutral whites
6 - XR-E Warm whites
12 - XR-E Royal Blue
8 - XR-E Cool Blue
4 - Luxeon Cyan

I have read too many places that the Red LEDs are not really useful. The neutral and warm white LEDs will provide 50x more in the reds than what my current lighting has now so I think they will be plenty of control in the red area.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
I think the reason you see reds in some builds is for the color pop on things that are yellow orange and red in your tank. beyond that probbaly not alot of help.
t-5 fixtures are going with some redish bulbs for that reason.

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
i think all those cool blues and the cyan are gonna kill you, i would replace at least some of them with more royal blues. also at a 1-1 mix of blues and warm/neutral whites the tank is going to be very yellow, probably not much more than 10k at max.

reds also create red shimmer which is terrible

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Your forgetting... dimmable is the key here. ;) Sure at full power on all LEDs I would probably get a ugly color (windex+yellow look) which would look terrible, but running the Royal Blues at closer to 100%, the Blue+Cyan at 60%, and all whites at 40-50% may give me a color I like. Also I am getting 6 extra Royal blues to switch out with regular blues/cyan if I feel the need after I try it out.

The latest threads on RC about LED coloring are now saying a 1:1:1 ratio of RB/CB/NW is the perfect combo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store