finally got my 75 gals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marcus Fenix

bicolor anglefish-one of my favs
Jul 21, 2007
Canada
hi y'all...haven written here in a while, been kind of busy.

I finally got my 75gals tank last week. I made a thread about "bad timing" a couple of months ago. in june when I set up my 30gals, I met a budy of mine who was selling his 75 gals and some equipment for 100$.

what I got for 100$
75 gals tank
heater
403 Fluval canister filter
wood top
metal stand (which I'll be closing with wood so it matches the wood top)

so, as of now...my plans are to make 30gals tank into a sump/refugium.

tomorrow is spending day. I'm buying the skimmer, water pump, lighting, live sand etc etc etc. I'm buying a Coralife skimmer. the LFS guy gave me a 20% discount on it...pretty neet.
I intend on putting live rock and a live sand bed of about ½ inch in my tank. there will also some live rock in the sump but also nitrate and phosphate absorbing plants in the sump/ref.

I'm having kind of a small friendly argument on where to put the skimmer in the sump. I say where the water from the comes in and he says next to the pump where the water will be returning to the tank. I'm buying, I get the last word...hahaha

anyhoo, I'll keep you guys on my progress with the tank (I'm a happy camper...lol)

Marcus Fenix

Jul 21, 2007
Canada
Put the skimmer in the section where the water enters. Especially if you'll have a fuge in the sump.
yeppp, that's what I was to mister LFS guy...I hope Coralife skimmers are good?

and, it'll be FOWLR. don't comfortable with keeping corals

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The coralife skimmers are so-so. Not great, but not bad for the price, either. I would strive for an overpowered skimmer, especially for a fish-only system. It will make things easier and cleaner in the long run.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
this the model I'm getting
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~ES33004.html

it's that one or some sketchy thing
I have the same skimmer on my 210g. It was a little twitchy at first, with the water level fluctuating a bit and dumping some microbubbles in the tank, but now it has settled down and seems to be working pretty well (in fact, I need to go dump it now but I'm trying desperately to avoid it). I have nothing to compare it to as I am quite the noob, but I like it and feel it was a good buy.
The one thing I did change was to get rid of the diffuser box and replace it with some 1" PVC and a piece of a filter sponge. The mod I followed is here....
Hope this helps!
Robbie

Marcus Fenix

Jul 21, 2007
Canada
I have the same skimmer on my 210g. It was a little twitchy at first, with the water level fluctuating a bit and dumping some microbubbles in the tank, but now it has settled down and seems to be working pretty well (in fact, I need to go dump it now but I'm trying desperately to avoid it). I have nothing to compare it to as I am quite the noob, but I like it and feel it was a good buy.
The one thing I did change was to get rid of the diffuser box and replace it with some 1" PVC and a piece of a filter sponge. The mod I followed is here....
Hope this helps!
Robbie
thanx for the input

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store