Fire belly newts..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
:Angel: yeah, the poor ram would hate to be on his own- i didnt really consider vine snakes going very deep under the water, but hey, i have no experience with these things. but the betta and newt, or maybe a snail and hermit crab set up would be neat too. :bday: :D

Last edited:

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
Emg said:
I don't know what the plants are. I picked them up at PetCo in the lizard section. One of them is some kind of fern and the big one in the corner will also grow rather well underwater.

I have one sponge filter in there which I tilt up so that the outflow bubbles on the surface of the water. The light in there is a flourescent and came with the hood. It's a little T5 11 inch bulb...don't know what the wattage or K value is.

It's really not that elaborate...lol...I just put some flourite on the platform, which I have since replaced with Echo-Complete substrate....went outside and picked some nice moss which I have growing all over my yard...and plopped a few of the plants in there. They are thriving nicely so apparently they're getting plenty of light from that bulb..whatever it is...and they're happy with the substrate.

The newts like to hang out underneath that plant in the corner. These guys are neat, I would encourage anyone to get some...real cuties ! :D

Sounds cool. I really want to get some newts in a 10-gallon setup.

If I decide to get a power filter, how can I prevent splash since the water level would only be half, since the water dispensed from the filter would have to travel all the way down? Any suggestions? Thanks.

And emg, how did you make the shelf? How does your plants grow on it?

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Yep...I have a great suggestion....get one of those Whisper in tank filters. They have suction cups on the back so you can stick them to the tank as far down as..I believe...one or two inches from the bottom of the tank. You could decoratively pile up some wood or rocks or something under the outlet to make a little stream in your tank ! :D

I've thought of doing something like that myself, but...too many tanks to deal with these days...lol...I think I am finally getting "Tanked Out".... :thud:

Oh, here's another pic of that newt tank...just put some fresh moss in it today, the stuff that was in there was looking a bit past it's prime. That's one good thing about having lots of healthy moss in your yard...lol...it's nothing to go out and rip up a few square inches of the stuff for general purposes.. ;)

It's a bit blurry, had the macro setting on and was trying to balance on top of the puter desk and cover the flash with my finger..and of course, the fish never sit still for a photo... :rolleyes:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Oh, WW, be sure to have something under the moss...a good substate or gravel or something that will allow water to drain out from under the plants. Otherwise you may get mold....when you silicone the platform on..if that's how you are going to do this...have it angle down towards the water at one end to ease the drainage.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
Thanks for the help!

I really like the filter and stream idea, it sounds really cool.

But coudl you explain in detail how you created the platform and planted it?

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
This thread really made we want some newts so today i went out and bought a 10 gallon tank with a small filter that stands in the corner of the tank. i am going to make the shelf for it tomorrow.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
haha

Cool. I want to do this also, but am still planning and researching! Good luck no the tank, 04cobrat.

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
WinterWind said:
haha

Cool. I want to do this also, but am still planning and researching! Good luck no the tank, 04cobrat.

Thanks. yeah i am still doing some research on how i want it set up. i am also having trouble finding the fire belly newts. the pet shop by my house doesn't have any. What do you think i should feed them? i have heard anything from worms to fish food.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I used aquarium silicone. It's a bit difficult and messy...lol..

I layed the aquarium on it's side to do this, so that the platform wouldn't slide down before it dried...but a better way I think would be to use something like maybe 4 plastic cups, whatever hieght you want the platform, and place them in the tank where the platform will be and bead a line of silicone at that level...place your platform on the cups and make another heavy bead of silicone along the edge of the platform on the top. You will need to run your finger along the silicone to to smooth it, but do this with a DRY finger...lol... Leave the cups until the silicone sets then remove them...or you can use something else and leave the stands in there just to be sure the platform stays. If you plan on putting something heavy on it, that may just be a better idea. To angle the platform for drainage purposes, just have the two stands on the water side just a bit shorter.

Keep in mind that under the platform it will be dark and difficult to see any fish you may put in there. I had thought of adding some kind of underwater lighting if I did a larger tank like this...might want to consider this. Some folks make vertical a barrier between the water and the land by siliconing a plexiglass wall. They fill the land side with gravel for drainage and whatever substrate they want...and dirt. This may be a better idea yet.

Anyway, do some online research, like I did to figure this out. Look at all the options and decide which way is best for you. Also, there is a site that sells dart frogs and has some good products for vevariums/terreriums...there are these clay balls that you could use for drainage underneath some coconut shavings, which could also work very well. Here's the site...click on terrerium supplys. I don't have anything to do with the place by the way...except that I have bought stuff from them for a dart frog habitat. Plan on picking up the frogs as soon as the tank is set up..I'll just have to post pics of that too !

http://www.blackjungle.com/home.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store