Fire belly newts..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fisheewishee

jenny
Apr 2, 2005
wigan
your 5 gallon tank, what size is it? im having trouble finding how many gallons/litres mine is! id prefere it in litres because uk us gallons are different.

my tank is 48x18x15 for my axolotls

I have two different kinds of fire bellied newts that i read, need a 15 gallon tank for four so i need a couple of 15 gal tanks as i have 4 of each newt but dunno what size

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I feed the mostly freeze dried tubifex worms and occasionally live black worms. Since it's warmed up around here now, I will go out and dig up some small earthworms and offer those to them too. I'm sure they'll love them !

I feed them about every other day....and they don't always accept the food at that. I've had them for several months...maybe since Nov or so.

Here's a close up of the platform section...

Last edited:

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
EMG, how do you plant the plants and root them down? I see that you use the black platform and then a layer of soil. How do you get enough dirt to be able to plant them, or are they in pots?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I don't have much substrate on there at all. The plant was in a wad of that felt like stuff. I had removed most of it but kept some on. The fern was in a clump of it's own soil and I just plopped it down in there. The root ball on them pretty much holds them up and the moss helps as well.

I used plexiglass for the platform and the substrate is Echo-Complete, which is a dark almost black product. Looks very much like dirt.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
Do the plants grow OK with that set up?

Do you think I would be able to use planting soil like miracle gro to plant them?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Very impressive and very nice EMG.. I having been planning on converting a 10 gallon to a newt tank here in the next few weeks. :)
I picked up a filter for the tank, its the hagen stingray. its an in water filter.

This would help with a stream like effect.
I also plan to use this for the land. the Zoomed Turtle dock
I think this might be more suitable than silicone some land. :)

But my hopes are to get some actual eastern newts instead of firebelly but now that I have a spare 5 gallon down stairs. :rolleyes:

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
Can you compare eastern newts and fire-bellied newts (chinese)? Are the eastern spotted newts larger than the fire-bellied? Are they more active? And what do they eat, how easily do they take food? Thanks.

I think I might have seen some eastern newts at the LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store