first SW build thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Glad you pointed that out with the stand. I was actually looking at it again and had begun to look for other options. I was focusing more on the finish details and the false front than the structure. I think I'm going to build the stand you linked and get creative with the finish work. I'm not sure if a 20L would fit though. They are 30" long and the stand should leave me with exactly 30" of space for the tank. I'm not sure where the 30" length is measured on the tank but I'm assuming with the rim it won't fit.

I was going to run the emperor280 only as needed and I was thinking the AC110 would be nice to have just as an extra food source for the mandarin and any other stock.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php this is a good site to check out for DIY stand. Depending what your finished plans are you might want to make the stand width 31" total so you have a little bit of play, or room to put molding around it, depends how your wanting the finished product to look.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You likely will have problems getting a 20L in the stand frame I linked. If you are handy and have the tools, there are ways to build a frame that will distribute the weight evenly without using so much material.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Im probably handy enough. I just dont have a lot of tools right now. Still, if you have a link or something, I can take a look and decide if its possible.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I was looking at LED lighting for the tank. The 36" fixtures labeled as reef capable seem to cost about the same as a t5ho fixture and run cheaper. So is there a downside to using LED lighting?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Which fixtures are you looking at? I haven't priced out any full LED fixtures lately but last time I did good ones were over $400 for 24".. I know you can get cheaper chinese ones off ebay or the marineland one but I don't think I'd trust those with SPS and some high light nem's.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I looked into them a little more, I don't think the fixtures I was looking at were really strong enough for many corals. I found some that look good at around $400. Which is about $100 more than the t5ho I was looking at.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I am going to get the glass cut for the sump today and just wanted to post the designs to make sure I don't have anything wrong. It is basically going to be the setup below with .5" added to the baffle heights. The bubble magnus nac3+ says it runs between 8"-10". So my first and third baffles will be 8.5" tall from the bottom. The second divider will sit 1.5" off the bottom and also be 8.5" tall placing the top 1.5" over the first and third baffles. Then space for the refugium and a 7.5" baffle into the section for the return pump. All glass will be .25" thick. The interior width measured to 12". I read to cut the glass at 11.75" to leave a space for the silicone. I'm a little unsure of this part though.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2045242

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
Most people don't use HOB/Cannisters because they clogged really fast and you find yourself having to clean them more frequently. Sumps allow you to not only hide some of the equipment, but provide more total volume for the tank, which can help ease any fluctuations in water chemistry.

Be sure to add plenty of live rock as it helps tremendously with bio filtration. I just had LR and a skimmer on my tank and it worked fine. Cannisters can still be used to polish the water, but like I said, they clog up fast.

I would stay away from the mandarin, unless you can find one that accepts flakes/prepared. Most survive off copepods and amphipods and they can eat a lot of them. I had one and after he decimated the pod population, he withered away and died.

LED lighting is the wave of the future (the future is now), but if you want to keep all the corals, MH is your best bet. Others have brought up the heat situation which is something to keep in mind, but it is still the best option imo.

Be careful with any starfish. Most are opportunistic omnivores and once they run out of the "easy" food, they'll start stalking your fish and corals.

Good luck and much success!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store