First Vivarium!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Alright CFLs in the range of 5000k-6500k it is!

As far as the VFT, do you think taking it out in fall and leaving it outside until it gets too cold would give it enough time to get ready? Then before it gets too cold it would be moved to the frigde for...... How long should I leave it in the fridge? Until spring?

So from a quick skim of this page, I like these:

Nepenthes albomarginata
Nepenthes ampullaria
Nepenthes benstonei (my favorite)
Nepenthes bicalcarata
Nepenthes mirabilis

Does anyone have experience or info to share?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Alright CFLs in the range of 5000k-6500k it is!

As far as the VFT, do you think taking it out in fall and leaving it outside until it gets too cold would give it enough time to get ready? Then before it gets too cold it would be moved to the frigde for...... How long should I leave it in the fridge? Until spring?

So from a quick skim of this page, I like these:

Nepenthes albomarginata
Nepenthes ampullaria
Nepenthes benstonei (my favorite)
Nepenthes bicalcarata
Nepenthes mirabilis

Does anyone have experience or info to share?
I've never grown LLers, so I can't be much help there. But if you look for stuff that says "good for beginning growers" or some such, you should be ok. I still think n. ventricosa could work for you...

If your VFTs are used to being grown indoors, I wouldn't move them outside... they need time to acclimate to being outdoors, the shock of going from indoors to outdoors to dormant may be enough stress to kill them. I would take them from the terrarium, put them in a windowsill that gets a little cold for a couple weeks, then to the fridge until probably mid to late march. Then back to a sunny windowsil, then back to the normal environment.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Read THIS...it will have all the info you need to get started. Barry Rice is one of the most knowledgeable people out there when it comes to CPs. I don't agree with everything he says regarding cultivation but he is usually spot on.

I also suggest getting Peter D'Amato's book "The Savage Garden" if you are really interested in them since it is like the CP bible. I know you said that the CPs are last but given that everyone I know who has them has become hooked I bet you will too LOL.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Awesome site Pappydew!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I've never grown LLers, so I can't be much help there. But if you look for stuff that says "good for beginning growers" or some such, you should be ok. I still think n. ventricosa could work for you...

If your VFTs are used to being grown indoors, I wouldn't move them outside... they need time to acclimate to being outdoors, the shock of going from indoors to outdoors to dormant may be enough stress to kill them. I would take them from the terrarium, put them in a windowsill that gets a little cold for a couple weeks, then to the fridge until probably mid to late march. Then back to a sunny windowsil, then back to the normal environment.
I assume this means Low-Landers?

Alright is there a direction the window should face? I know some plants like facing north or south wile others are east and west.

Read THIS...it will have all the info you need to get started. Barry Rice is one of the most knowledgeable people out there when it comes to CPs. I don't agree with everything he says regarding cultivation but he is usually spot on.

I also suggest getting Peter D'Amato's book "The Savage Garden" if you are really interested in them since it is like the CP bible. I know you said that the CPs are last but given that everyone I know who has them has become hooked I bet you will too LOL.
I have been to part of that site and it was very helpful but I didn't know it was so big!

I will keep an eye out for the book and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I assume this means Low-Landers?

Alright is there a direction the window should face? I know some plants like facing north or south wile others are east and west.
Yep, sorry... lowlanders indeed. For dormancy preparation, I would go for a north facing window... it will get less light and probably get a bit colder than others. You may want to check out your windows with a thermometer and see which one get the coldest... that's what you're looking for.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Alright that you!

For the pitchers, N ampullaria is a must.

Another option that I haven't been able to find much info on as far as ease of growing is Nepenthes benstonei. I like it but could do without if it's too big or too hard to grow. Has anybody tried this plant?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I've never heard of Nepenthes benstonei before. But in a quick search I saw a pic of one with about a 9" pitcher...

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I've never heard of Nepenthes benstonei before. But in a quick search I saw a pic of one with about a 9" pitcher...
Oh, dang! That's pretty big! I had read that they will grow to quite a large size but I didn't know they were that big. Maybe I'll leave that one for the CP greenhouses!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store