Fish for guppy population control

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
I started with 20 guppies & now I've got hundreds in my tank. I thought by keeping a betta in the tank it would help with population control but he just got fat and lazy. I moved him back to his 5 gallon today because he's so obese.
I've recently given away 200+ and people are mostly wanting the males. Fry are being born constantly so it's a never ending cycle.
I went to our lfs and asked what fish I could purchase to help but not harm the adults. They suggested a betta. Bah, that isn't working too well. I don't think they quite understand the problem I have, or maybe they don't believe me. I want to keep guppies but not this amount. Maybe having a community tank of different fish might help? Any suggestions are welcome.

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011

Just rehomed another 200 or more guppies. Nobody believes me about having this many until they see my tank. This pic is after rehoming 400 or more.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
What sized tank is it? If the tank is 40 gallons or more you could get an angelfish or just about any other moderately sized cichlid. If the adults are bigger than a neon tetra they will be safe from an angelfish. I'd stick with south american cichlids as they tend to be less agressive then the african cichlids and will be alot more likely to leave your adult guppies alone.

Another option is to sepparate all the fry and females and only keep males. Rehome the females and fry or feed them to something and you won't have to worry about anymore babies.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
There aren't a whole lot of fish out there that will eat the babies in such numbers without harming the adults. How big is this tank?

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
It's 80 gallons. I'll look up south american cichlids, thank you for your suggestions. I was worried nobody would have any ideas.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Hmm, that doesn't look like an 80 gallon in the picture, but maybe that is another tank. If it's an 80 gallon then you could have several angelfish or other cichlid and that will really keep the population in check. I'm not a big cichlid person, so research the fish you decide to get. Make sure it doesn't get more than 5 inches or so and that it doesn't have a big mouth. Most fish will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouthes.

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
It's definitely an 80, maybe it looks small because of the tacky paperbag background.:headshake2:

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Zimora woodcats..they get about 5 inches long..love to snack on baby fish ..but might take out a skinny male or two as well..lovely little cats that come out at night and cruse the tank ( or the day with the tank lights out and room lights on.)

they remid me of sharks they way they move!

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
Zimora woodcats..they get about 5 inches long..love to snack on baby fish ..but might take out a skinny male or two as well..lovely little cats that come out at night and cruse the tank ( or the day with the tank lights out and room lights on.)

they remid me of sharks they way they move!
I just looked them up. I definitely have the hidey spots they like and subdued lighting but I don't think they are available in my area. They do look neat.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I just looked them up. I definitely have the hidey spots they like and subdued lighting but I don't think they are available in my area. They do look neat.
sad..where are you located..I have a male and female i need of re homing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store