fish have feelings!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
Saying Bettas don't like the extra room is just pure ignorance. With actual experience anyone could tell you their behavior differs quite a bit from being in smaller tanks to being in 10-20 gallon tanks and up. I have had bettas in 5 gallon setups, 20 gallon community, and early on I've kept them in smaller bowl type setups.

Bettas thrive with plants/decor to swim around and IME have done so much better in larger tanks. I keep my betta's in nothing less then 2.5 gallons of water now and all have heating and filtration.

MikeO

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mikeoconnor.net
Bettas need space, they can live in those small tanks, just like you could live in apartment that is 8x3x8 apartment (you could have a bed in there) but would you be happy in that sized living space?? well the betta is the same way. My 4 bettas are soooo happy in their 10 gallon tanks.

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
sorry devon but i have to disagree!

yohkos

AC Members
Jul 2, 2005
Every betta I have had enjoys having space to swim. I have only had one betta that did not like being in a community tank or maybe he did, but he was too bossy. He is now in a 10 gallon with cories.

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Habitat/Care: Bettas are one of the most recognized, most colorful, and often most controversial fish in the freshwater hobby. Debates range on about the appropriateness of keeping them in small bowls. To fully understand their needs it is important to become familiar with their native habitat. Bettas originate in the shallow waters in Thailand (formerly called Siam, hence their name), Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and parts of China. They proliferate rice paddies, shallow ponds, and even slow moving streams.

Although many fish keepers are aware that Bettas come from shallow waters, a key factor that is often overlooked is the water temperature. These countries are tropical, which means the water temperature is quite warm - often reaching into the 80's. Bettas thrive on heat, and will become increasingly listless when the water temperature falls below 75 degrees F. Water temperature is perhaps the biggest argument against keeping a betta in a tiny bowl (which cannot readily be heat controlled).

Even though Bettas do well in waters low in dissolved oxygen, that does not mean they require less oxygen than other fish. Bettas have a special respiratory organ that allows them to breath air directly from the surface. In fact they inherently must do so. In experiments where the labyrinth organ was removed, the fish died from suffocation even though the water was saturated with oxygen. For this reason, Bettas must have access to the water surface to breath air directly from the atmosphere.

Optimally the water for keeping healthy Bettas should be soft, warm, with a neutral to slightly acidic pH. Water movement should be kept to a minimum, which means that power filters and powerheads are not suitable. Bettas may be kept in a community tank as long as the water conditions are met, and if no aggressive or fin-nipping fish are present. However, only one male may be kept in each aquarium, unless they are separated by a barrier.

The use of plastic boxes that hang inside the aquarium are a suitable option for keeping more than one betta in a tank, or for keeping them in a tank with fish that might nip their fins. Females will generally not fight with each other, and may be kept in the same tank.

NOTE: Selling a betta in a vase with a Peace Lily has become in vogue. However, a flower vase is not a suitable environment for the betta.

Taken from http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/anabantids2/p/betta.htm

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
maybe bettas live in small plastic cups in the wild hehe just kidding..

honestly though, i feel bad seeing the ones placed in plastic cups...

i was at a lfs once, one of the bettas apparently got tired of living in a plastic cup and jumped off and fell to the floor..

the guy at the lfs saw this and did nothing, i had to put it back myself, the guy had no concern whatsoever..

that was sad, i would have bought it to save it from there but all my thanks are full... i have space in my 30 g but there are tiger barbs in there and im afraid the barbs might nip on its fins :mad:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store