Fish Sanctuary

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hoyo12

AC Members
Mar 1, 2010
WI
Real Name
Brady
Been awhile since I last posted here, so here is my last post about the rescue from MFK:
Updated shot of the 150-Gallon. I'm still fighting with the water clarity; did a 50% WC yesterday to help that out a bit. It's not too bad, but it could be better! I'll probably have to upgrade the filtration somehow, and hopefully that makes a difference.

Haven't really put the word out lately about the rescue, mainly because of all of this ^. Needed to get rid of that "pond" and a larger tank up and running. And now I'm just trying to make it look fairly perfect, if that makes sense, lol. I did have someone with an Oscar that they wanted me to take in... for $35
It will be one year at the end of this December since starting the rescue.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What all do you have in there?

Hoyo12

AC Members
Mar 1, 2010
WI
Real Name
Brady
What all do you have in there?
5x Oscars
1x Tilapia b.
1x Pacu
1x Longnose Gar
1x Common Pleco
2x JD's
1x Channel Catfish

Need to build a DIY Canister Filter for the tank...

Hoyo12

AC Members
Mar 1, 2010
WI
Real Name
Brady
It's been a few months since I last posted an update, so here we go.
Having rescued five Oscars in the past, three were adopted out. I did end up losing one Oscars awhile back after being attacked by the others. Who specifically? I'm not sure, but I'd bet that it was Bruce. ;) lol
I did decide to keep Bruce, and he is now in the 150-Gallon with the other WC Oscar. Both 13"+. The Pacu has healed-up from his attacks by his original tank-mate (another 2' Pacu), as well as his scars from Bruce....:D
Everything seems to be going well, but I am starting to take down a few tanks here and there. Not as...active in the hobby as I used to be; eight years in the hobby, starting to run out of ideas, lol.
Here are just a few pics of the Oscars, Pacu, etc. :)

Had the power go out last night after a bad winter storm, so now I get to spend the next 5 hours cleaning tank filters and doing water changes, etc. :headshake2:

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I don't know what to say - except well done - I'm quite stunned by your thread.

How on earth do you keep up with those water changes ?

Hoyo12

AC Members
Mar 1, 2010
WI
Real Name
Brady
I don't know what to say - except well done - I'm quite stunned by your thread.

How on earth do you keep up with those water changes ?
Thank you.
It surprises most people when they find out that a 15yr old is behind all of this, and actually has been for quite some time now.
Water changes are at least once a week, but usually I'm messing around with he tanks multiple times throughout the week; sometimes smaller water changes, filling tanks, cleaning the glass, etc. Tomorrow I'll be working again on the tanks, seems how the 150-Gallon needs a water change. Only downside-I have to go down two flights of stairs to fill the tanks in the basement, lol. Still have to put a sink down there, as my father is a bit slow on progress. ;) But I can't complain, it gets the job done. Despite not exactly being the quickest way for water changes, lol.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Need to build a DIY Canister Filter for the tank...
I wouldnt waste your time with a DIY canister, build a DIY sump/trickle filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store