fish that shoudn't be sold

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
yeah and you should only be allowed to have 3 different species per person with a maximum 23.53 inches of fish in 240.854 gallons of water. You can have no more than 1lb of food and 3 different medications at one time. Any deceased fish must be taken back to the store for documentation and autopsy. If one fish consumes another fish, it must be euthanized and the autopsy be done to find whether the consumed fish was dead before or after eating. If you fish are found to be in less than perfect water conditions you should be put to death. get real. Kyle

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Most fish stores around these parts selling tetras and schooling fishes offer deals when you buy them 4 or 5 at a time. That is sort of an incentive I guess to get a whole school.

Pretty much any fish, though, with the name shark on it should be sold with lots of disclaimers. Or perhaps fish stores should be forced to keep an adult ID shark in a proper tank to show people what they are getting into, ;)

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by Shekoi
change from shoudn't be sold, to can be sold with the right infromation given to the buyer and prove that they can house the fish right. or the LFS should not stock the fish in store just have a catalog of some kind so can order them.
I am in total agreement... Case-in-point, two tinfoil barbs in a 10-gallon tank... That mistake costs us darn near $100 in the form of a tank upgrade we hadn't planned on getting!

However the large fish (especially in the case of Koi or other popular species) can be sold back to the LFS.

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
are you serious?

QCppg i've been looking at your tank setups listed at the bottom of your post.

koi need around 300gallons each to grow and fancy goldfish should have 20g at least, common/comets more so both in a 45gallon is not good.

does "20 long" mean 20gallon or is it the lengh? either way too small for 1 common pl*co hell for two, and to small for your goldies, shouldn't mix tropical with coldwater it stresses the coldwater fish if hot and vise versa.
Same in "18 tall" for the pl*co and angelfish need around 15 gallons each so 5 is to many.

sorry for having a go, everyone makes mistakes we all learn somehow.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Re: are you serious?

Originally posted by Shekoi

does "20 long" mean 20gallon or is it the lengh?
There are 20 gallon tanks that are high and others that are considered long. I think the highs don't have any more surface area than a 15 gal.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
actually the 20 tall tanks are about the same as a 10 stacked 2 tall like 2 ten gallon tanks one on top of the other that I have seen.

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
QUppg

to sort out your tanks, i hate having a go at people just don't want all your fish go to the lake in the sky and you lose interest in this great hobby.

first the 20 gallon
take back the goldies and pl*cos

then increase the school of WCMM if you want to keep them happy.

18 gallon
take back at least 4 of your angels best if all of them go back. also take back the pl*co, it proable can't even turn around.
and increase the school of neons and maybe add couple platies.

the ten gallon looks very full, i'd add the guppies to your 20 gallon once the goldies and pleco have gone, and only have the frogs in this tank.

45 floor tank.
all fish back to store, unless building a pond, add filters and add 2 maximum fancy goldies, if want it coldwater.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I have better luck with tetras in smaller groups, they never actually school anyways. When I had 9 neon tetras, I seldom saw more than 3 together in any one place in my 55. I found that 3 each was better for me. You cannot label every fish in this manor because just like people, they have individual characters. if I have a tank large enough for a flathead catfish, I should be able to keep one. Misinformation is everywhere, not just fish. 75% of the people buying cars from the dealership where I work have no idea how to use their vehicles properly but you don't see any laws prohibiting someone from buying a big SUV simply because their garage isn't large enough or they can't see over the steering wheel. A good LFS will talk to people about this, this is how they stay in business. If an LFS is just selling people fish for the purpose of selling them, they will likely not be in business long because they will end up having more unhappy customers who leave the hobby than stay. Some bettas like bowls, some like more room to swim. I have a 36 gallon with about 16 barbs but they probably only use 1/3 of the tank near the front so they will be ready when I feed. Someone else might have 8 barbs in a 45 gallon that use every inch of the tank, does this mean their fish are cramped? Does this mean I should only have a 12 gallon tank since that's all they use? If the fish are happy and healthy and the water conditions can be maintained, I don't see a problem. If the fish's tail is curved from hitting the glass, it needs a bigger tank. I have over 100 fish in my 55 gallon and they're still breeding like crazy and there are no problems at all. I never have ammonia or nitrites and my nitrates stay below 15. Kyle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store