Fish with goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mahalo

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2007
What kind of fish can you have in a tank with goldfish? I'm expanding, getting a 54L tank and right now I only have 2 small goldfish..
Can you have a betta with them? And guppies?
Cause i'm thinking of getting those 2 and I want to be sure I can keep them with my goldfish..

Last edited:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Well, first off, no. The goldfish would not be compatible with those fish as they are tropical fish while the goldfish need colder water. Goldfish also need a different dietary staple than the tropicals. You are holding 2 goldfish in a small tank and want to upgrade to a roughly 14 gallon fish tank which is also pushing it, nothing can be added as it is maxed out and then some. My suggestion would be save your money and when you've saved enough, get a bigger tank.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
well even if you get a larger tank, goldfish shouldnt be housed with any other fish.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
You'll be fine for a while as long as they're small, but eventually... as everyone else said. You get the picture.
Anyway, as far as compatibility, I have had my goldfish with bettas, BS tetras, mollies, and they get along fine. However, the risk you run there is the temperature compatibility. I keep my goldfish at a rather warm 72/73, which is comfortable for the tropicals too, but I'm also working on finding new homes for my tropicals so I can drop the temp for the goldfish into the high 60s.
I hear that white cloud minnows do well at cool temps, so you might want to look into them? As far as getting along though, anything that doesn't nip fins will get along. Goldfish are very peaceful fellows. So if you can find some coolwater community fish, that would be a good idea.
I'd actually recommend apple snails, though. They do well at a wide range of temps, and they're just as personable and interesting as fish. Mine bubble-surf. They scooch to the top of the tank wall next to the bubbles, then literally jump off and surf the bubbles down to the floor. They do this over and over. They're really cool, and they can eat pretty much the same diet as your goldfish- dark greens and pellets.

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
For a larger tank, you could have a weather loach as a bottom-swimmer for the tank. White clouds and danios can tolerate and thrive in waters that stay in the mid 60s, but once your goldfish get big enough, the smaller fish would be food for them if they caught them unawares.

Just be mindful that it's not only a goldfish's physical size that poses a problem. It's also their production of waste. It's very easy to overdo your bio-load where goldies are concerned!! O__O;;

JDonner

Registered Member
Mar 28, 2007
You are aware that goldfish get pretty big, right?
Don't misinform him. Goldfish don't get that big in smaller tanks. He will have a 54 liter. I've seen people keep goldfish in half that tank size for over 10 years.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
54L is a little over 14 gallons. Godfish could stop growing in size, sure but when this happens, the goldfish are stunted which is not a good thing and often leads to the demise of the fish. Sure, it can survive but is then susceptible to a list of dieases and will not die of a natural cause but rather of a complication of some sort. Is it comfotable, I think not. The proper size for a fancy goldfish would start at the minimum of a 20 gallon, so I will reaffirm that 14 gallons is pushing it. Unless you have studied up on stunting, found out what the posters here are talking about, don't discredit it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store