Fish with goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Don't misinform him. Goldfish don't get that big in smaller tanks. He will have a 54 liter. I've seen people keep goldfish in half that tank size for over 10 years.
I'm thinking they were keeping dead goldfish.

You're the one thats misinformed. i recommend you read up before you start posting nonsense ****.

When a fish is in a tank thats too small for it, its body stops growing, causing it to have internal damage, etc.

Goldfish are COLDWATER fish, while BETTAS and GUPPIES are TROPICAL. They live in different temperature waters and eat different foods.

Also, goldfish are one of the MESSIEST fish around. A 14 gallon tank simply CANNOT support 2 goldfish for more than a couple months.

Unlike our friends, JDonner, I have experience with Goldfish.
:thumbsup:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
for the people who keep saying "my goldfish are with tropicals and there's no problem" and "i keep my goldfish at 80 degrees and it's fine" - come back when your fish hits the 15 year mark. goldfish can certainly handle higher temperatures for temporary periods of time. they are biologically engineered to handle seasonal temperature changes as would be expected when they live in streams and ponds. however, long term exposure to high temperatures changes their regular growth cycles and affects their health.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
To address what could go in with goldfish... if you live in a temperate climate, pretty much anything that lives where you do. So pretty much any native fish that won't eat it - perch, sunfish, rainbow trout, minnows.

Specifically from an LFS, lots of people keep white clouds with goldfish.

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
i disagree with the 10-20g's per fancy goldfish. look how large that goldfish is. i would have to say at least 75g's for 2 fancies and after everyone more added, add 25 more g's. thats a personal opinion i mean i have a decent pond with one small goldfish in it and some sidekicks.

the perfect tankmate for gold's are rosy reds. just make sure they are quarantined becuase i see them loaded with parasites from living in poor conditions.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i disagree with the 10-20g's per fancy goldfish. look how large that goldfish is. i would have to say at least 75g's for 2 fancies and after everyone more added, add 25 more g's. thats a personal opinion i mean i have a decent pond with one small goldfish in it and some sidekicks.
That particular goldfish in the photo is quite huge - 15 inches long. However, it was grown in a pond at an Asian fish farm and specially bred, fed, and pampered in the hopes of making the Guiness Book of World Records as the largest fancy goldfish. It is NOT representative of the normal size of fancy goldfish.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
That particular goldfish in the photo is quite huge - 15 inches long. However, it was grown in a pond at an Asian fish farm and specially bred, fed, and pampered in the hopes of making the Guiness Book of World Records as the largest fancy goldfish. It is NOT representative of the normal size of fancy goldfish.
^ I agree =) Unless you can provide the pond, genetics and whatever special food they eat, I dont think your going to get a fish like that.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i would like for you all to know that i have 5 fancy goldfish.
1 black moor
1 blue oranda
1 "lionhead" oranda
2 calico ryukins.

these are all the $2 pet store variety that were not raised in a fish farm pond and although they are not 15 inches long, my largest (the black moor) is easily the size of a softball.

even the cheap poorly bred goldfish will reach large sizes if given the proper environment, and anything less than to proper environment which allows them to reach that size is, IMO, nothing short of torture.

ON the other hand: once the tank is large enough to handle the bioload, i have heard that dojo loaches do well in coolwater tanks. i dont have any long term experience of that though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store