Fluval Chai 5 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
.............. or convert it to a pico reef and keep pom pom crabs.
I think the point of the chi is to have freshwater, since you can put an emersed plant in the top filter section

Endlers or least killifish maybe? Might get away with a pair of golden killies, but some people will say at 4"+ they would be crowded. (tank is 16"x10" correct?) Or dwarf puffers are always fun :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
the Chi is 12"x10"

And I don't think the plants in the picture are real... I've no idea how the roots might interfere with the filter.

I'd say that a pair of Golden (I assume Golden Wonder) Killies would be overcrowding somewhat.. IME they always stayed at the surface and would swim around a bunch, so not really enough room for that, the bioload wouldn't be a problem I think though.

There are lots and lots and lots of nano fish that would be suitable, if Killies are your bag, try a school of Clown Killies.

At the end of the day it will depend where you're comfortable ordering from.. what options you have locally, if you don't mind having livestock shipped to you, then you have many many more options.

90% of my smaller fish came from MsJinkzd I don't believe she ships to Canada, but you could try asking, and if not just poke around at some of the fish profiles on her site to get a few ideas.

Alternatively she and another AC member co-wrote a book on FW nano fish... sounds like it might be a useful read for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Freshwater-Nano-Species-Invertebrates/dp/0982026250

I would love to try a pico reef but I'm not sure I'm brave enough yet. Thank you very much for the book recommendation dougall, I love books. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it gives me a place to start planning.

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I had completely forgotten about dwarf puffers! One little dude in there would be perfect and he would have ample space. I'll even send you a a few snails to keep him fed :p

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
you should be able to keep a couple in a Chi. not sure where the 10g per fish comes from.

you just need to be sure that you have lots of plants/decor to break their line of sight to avoid fighting. If that might be a problem a single one would be fine.

Now that the decision is made I was all excited last night and got my Chi all set up. Hopefully this weekend I'll get some ammonia to start the cycle, some more filters and RO Rite. I may end up having to take the filter unit off because the light switch is no longer working :(
I've taken out the bottom rock garden thingy so there'll be more room for plants and décor.

Fluval Chi 1.jpgFluval Chi 2.jpg

Fluval Chi 1.jpg Fluval Chi 2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store