Four Stiped Damsel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't suggest a toby. My damsel stressed my toby to death, there were other causes but the damsel stressed him out, wacked him in the face with his tail.

Also a toby *might* eat any shrimp you add in the tank and hermit crabs.

I would still stick to my suggestion of a coral beauty. I know my coral beauty was never bothered by the damsel. I suppose a flame angel would probably work as well. Since it would only be the angel and the damsel I don't think there would be any issues.

boggs

AC Members
Oct 28, 2007
1o miles from detroit
I like the coral beauity or flame angel idea:). I know you can pick up a coral beauity for $25.00 at my LFS but the flame angels are about $20.00 more than that.

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
... i have a four stripe, blue domino, dotty back, clown goby ,clown fish ,green chromis. all together and the 4 stripe is the least aggressive in a 29 i would say a blue or domino damsel of about the same size should be ok or maybe one of each but i am no expert
Out of curiousity, how long have you had all these fish in the 29?

davidryder

AC Members
Sep 28, 2007
I know you don't want to hear it, but returning it is the best option, unless you just really like the fish. There are far more compatible fish you could stock a 30g with. Having that damsel in there is very risky regardless of what type of fish you put in there.

If you are 100% keeping the damsel, it's a toss-up of how aggressive it is. If it was returned it is safe to assume, at least somewhat, that it was for reasons of aggression. Whatever you put in there, make sure it is full grown.

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
I know you don't want to hear it, but returning it is the best option, unless you just really like the fish. There are far more compatible fish you could stock a 30g with. Having that damsel in there is very risky regardless of what type of fish you put in there.
This is a free tank. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on this one. It's a tank I had lying around and a bunch of live rock someone gave me.

The fish as simple as it may be, looks very nice: black and white with blue edging. Yes I know it ain't pretty it just looks that way. It patrols the tank like a junkyard dog so yeah I'm expecting it won't take kindly to playmates. Yes, I really like this fish and I'm going to keep it. No worries I'm playing "what if", but I'm not going to be putting anything else in there recklessly. Besides the guy at the store didn't even really want to sell it, they don't carry or care much for damsels, so it's like my new problem child.

If
I do put anything else in there it will be very carefuly watched. Just looking for people's ideas that's all.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Sincerely, if you like the damsel and want to plan the tank around it there isn't anything wrong with that. Even we non-damsel fans can appreciate that fact. You might even want to consider a mantis shrimp. Bob keeps his with a fish, and one a lot less feisty that your 4 stripe.

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
That's interesting I don't know much about mantis, but didn't think they were safe to keep fish with. Something else to research, thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store