Four Stiped Damsel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
I looked at his mantis tank - very cool. Well beyond my planned budget to match but I know that wasn't the point.
Unfortunately Mantis are hard to come by around here and when one does come along it's never identified.

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Haven't had any luck figuring out a fish to add. The only psuedochromis I could find was a strawberry and he would have been fighting well out side his weight class as he was tiny in comparison to the damsel. Threw a coral banded shrimp in last night. Looks like I might be starting a striped theme.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
I bet you could put 3 chromises in there and the 'gang' would limit the aggression.

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
i'll also throw in a recommendation for a mantis, one of the larger smashers like a peacock would be able to hold it's own.

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Here's the fish.

He has a lot of personality, easily the most active fish I ever kept. He has laid claim to the whole tank and I don't expect he will be a gracious host to any newcomers. He patrols the tank vigiliantily. He leaves the coral banded shrimp alone though. The shrimp just hangs out and chills in contrast to the frentic damsel. The shrimp does snap at the damsel if it comes close so they've probably established their boundaries.

I'll make another circuit of the LFS's tomorrow but I'm not expecting to find him any playmates. Seeing as how I don't always play well with others I feel a bit of a connection with this guy.

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Not much luck on finding a pseudochromis. I did come across a larger strawberry but got distracted by a bicolor blenny which I bought for another tank. The strawberry was gone when I went back. The only other pseudochromis I can find is a vampire. Anybody have any experience with these. Some sites say they are less aggresive than other pseudochromis. It's also a little pricey and this particular store tends to be a bit overpriced, so I expect it's probably not a good deal.

Last edited:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Not much luck on finding a pseudochromis. I did come across a larger strawberry but got distracted by a bicolor blenny which I bought for another tank. The strawberry was gone when I went back. The only other pseudochromis I can find is a vampire. Anybody have any experience with these. Some sites say they are less aggresive than other pseudochromis. It's also a little pricey and this particular store tends to be a bit overpriced, so I expect it's probably not a good deal.

I would actually say exactly the opposite of the pseudochromis dilectus..these can be a very aggressive fish indeed...The only type which are a little less agressive are the tank bred variety....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store