FOWLR predator tank questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
ok thanks the angler fish will be off my list of possibilities i was thinking that maybe they wouldnt eat a poisonous fish like a leaf fish. Now do scorpion fish eat smaller fish like in the 2-3in range? If not how does this stocking sound

1 leaf fish
1 sailfin scorpion
1 falco(max 2.5in) or pixy(max 3in) hawkfish

again substiutions and critiques encouraged

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Should work. For those fish, a heavier-bodied 2-3 inch fish should be fine. If you are considering slender fish, like wrasses, then that's a problem, since these guys can fold over and make it easier to fit in someone's stomach.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
thanks for the help and i wasnt talking about slender fish like that i was mainly asking because of the size of the hawkfish i listed.

and ggggrrrrrr i keep looking at fish on the internet that look like they would go so well in this tank lol the only one that i am really thinking about is a filefish because of how odd they look but i doubt i would have the room and i dont know how well they would fair with them being peaceful

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
ok an equipment question now.

I know predator tanks have some nitrate problems and i was wondering if over skimming would be good or just a waste. I am planning on using a knock-off of the bakpak 2 but if over skimming is a good thing i will upgrade it to the knock-off of the dual bakpak skimmer which holds alot more water volume, has 2 skimmers, and a decent sized center section where i could stuff extra chaeto

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The extra skimming won't hurt, but it won't stop a big nitrate problem--it can slow it or lessen it, though. A refugium, turf scrubber, etc. is much more efficient than a skimmer in reducing nitrates and can generally lower them much more.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
yes i know this amp and i am planning on modding an AC110 into a fuge and if i do go with the dual HOB skimmer i will be stuffing some chaeto in the center section where there is a big opening that would be perfect for some macro. i will also have a small macro field that will help with nitrates too(can never have too much nitrate absorbtion specially in a predator tank)

now i know all of these stocking questions are probably getting old but could i substitue the hawkfish, which could take precious perching space away from the scorpion and leaf fish, with a Fu Manchu Lionfish which only get to 4in and i believe would spend most of the time swimming around instead of perching

and sorry no pics yet this is still in the planning stages

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Those fish aren't particularly or usually known to be aggressive, but you are starting to crowd the lower portions of the tank, making any sort of negative interaction more likely. The leaf fish and scorpionfish are less likely to leave the bottom than the hawkfish, so that sounded better to me. That's not to say that they necessarily will fight, but you are increasing the chances. The lionfish will likely be the most territorial out of the bunch, followed by the scorpionfish and then the leaf fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store