Fresh/brackish water moray

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TorturedSOUL

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
my eels love earthworms,ghost shrimp, and live tubaflex. You could buy them at a gardening center....I don't know about in India though.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Make sure you add MARINE salt, not AQUARIUM salt, too.

lucky_ducky

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
India
marine salt - aquarium salt ? i add, "non-iodised" salt, the one got directly from sea water. are u refferring to it as marine salt ?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
No the pet store will probably sell a salt mixture for marine tanks/ saltwater setups. That is the salt you need to use as it has all thebuffers etc... needed to make a brackish or marine tank. Don't think of brackish as salty freshwater but as weaker saltwater (IMO). Something to measure specific gravity is really needed at this point, either the store can do it for you or else they can sell you a device to do it. The plants will die as the salt increases so be ready to take out any dying plants so they don't foul up the water. Increase the SG of the tank by 1.002 per week to let the eel adapt to the changes. Hopefully that will help it before things get too late.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
lucky ducky- If you have the eel pictured in your avatar, it is NOT the saltwater Snowflake Eel. You have the correct ID. I would suggest going to the fish store, buy a hydrometer (measures salt level), buy some marine salt (brands like Instant Ocean, Coralife Sea Salt, several other brands-Instant Ocean is the most common) and take a water sample (take in 1 cup of water) and get it tested to see ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels. The ONLY place I buy food for my Eels (Zebra Moray,Ghost Ribbon) is at the local grocery store (Safeway) and go to their seafood department and buy fresh shrimp, cooked shrimp, small pieces of crab meat, and scallops. The marine eels love it and it is how I coaxed the extremely difficult true saltwater Ribbon Eels to eat. It should work with the remaining one. My guess is that you don't have the salt concentration high enough. Anyway, good luck and hope this helps!

lucky_ducky

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
India
TKOS said:
No the pet store will probably sell a salt mixture for marine tanks/ saltwater setups. That is the salt you need to use as it has all thebuffers etc... needed to make a brackish or marine tank. Don't think of brackish as salty freshwater but as weaker saltwater (IMO). Something to measure specific gravity is really needed at this point, either the store can do it for you or else they can sell you a device to do it. The plants will die as the salt increases so be ready to take out any dying plants so they don't foul up the water. Increase the SG of the tank by 1.002 per week to let the eel adapt to the changes. Hopefully that will help it before things get too late.

thanks a lot for the advice :)

lucky_ducky

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
India
yes Mono, that is exactly the fish i have with me. if it is really not a saltwater fish, then ......? Do i need to add salt or not ? Whoa, its very confusing. And aslong as there are no shrimps,krills etc to offer can i feed it something else like....any live small fishes ?

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Yes it is a brackish fish (technical definition is 20%saltwater 80% freshwater-there are now very different grades of brackish). It is now technically anything from freshwater to saltwater (~1.003-1.020). The eel that you have is a high brackish fish (it can and often will live comfortably in saltwater) so I would keep a range of at least 1.010 through 1.020. What other fish do you have in the tank? Also what is your pH. I notice you have normal gravel which won't help buffering the pH. Most brackish need a minimum pH of 7.8 and prefer the low 8.0 range. They won't really go after live fish. Like I said before go to a local grocery store or fish market and try finding some shrimp or crab meat or scallops. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

lucky_ducky

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
India
well, mine is a fresh water aquarium, i have gouramis, mollies, convict cichlids, swordtails, fresh water eels, loaches, danios, sharks and coris. i have no idea of my pH as i havent had any problems with these fishes, i guess it must b between 6.5-7.5.

You need to dcide what you want to keep then, the eel will need a tank just for itself in brackish conditions.I kept one of these myself until I got bored of my backish tank, he ate salad prawn/shrimp, mussle, frozen lancefish and the occasional molly.Your ramaining fish wont live much longer in the conditions you have and the other fish will not be able to talerate the amont of salt needed to keep the eel happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store