Freshly started SW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jimmak85

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
So i just started my first SW its a 2.5 gal with crushed coral substrate and 2.5 pounds of rubble rock. I used nutri-sea already mixed water for the initial tank fill, and i have just a small filter that only has a sponge in it. I told my local fish store everything i had and they said it sounds good. suggestions welcome.....

IMG_0104.JPG

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Looks good. Most picos I see are done with a small HOB filter. Does the sponge filter give you some good flow? The only suggestion I would make would be to remove the crushed coral since it traps debris/detritus which will build up nitrates and in a very small tank that can be fairly dangerous. I would recommend using a shallow sand bed in lieu of the crushed coral.

What kind of light is over the tank?

jimmak85

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
Looks good. Most picos I see are done with a small HOB filter. Does the sponge filter give you some good flow? The only suggestion I would make would be to remove the crushed coral since it traps debris/detritus which will build up nitrates and in a very small tank that can be fairly dangerous. I would recommend using a shallow sand bed in lieu of the crushed coral.

What kind of light is over the tank?
Yes I've been watching how much everything moves in the tank and it seems to move everything quite a bit. The only reason i cant use sand is cause it just fills the filter and screws it up. The light is a ten gallon strip with a life-glow bulb 15w, would you suggest anything better i was thinking coralife 50/50?

jimmak85

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
Ok, so i just did a water test
PH: 7.7
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
specific gravity: 1.028

so does that mean its too salty or needs salt and i need an idea of how much if the tank is only 2.5 gallon i have it filled just to the black lip......

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Add some fresh water to get your SG around 1.025-1.026. Once you get it there make a note of the water level and top off with FW when needed to that line. Then just make your WC water to match your SG. Also, your pH is a little on the low end but pH should work itself out in a tank that size. Just keep an eye on it when you do your first few water changes. Are you using RO water or tap water? Use RO if you can.

If you want to do a reef tank you might want to look into upgrading your light to a power compact, T5 or metal halide. If you go the halide route you might consider a pendent halide fixture or a JBJ Viper style light due to the size of your tank. These are easy to raise and lower. It really just depends on the types of corals you want to keep. Some shrooms and zoanthids might be ok with the light you have but the colors probably won't pop. If you are going with fish only, the light you have is pefectly fine. Great start!

jimmak85

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
I have a question is RO water and distilled water the same thing? king Is there any kind of livestock I can cycle with in my tank? If not then I'll be patient and wait for the tank to cycle. Stocking ideas would be great too......

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

jimmak85

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
NO, RO and distilled are processed differently.

http://www.pwgazette.com/rofaq.htm
Question, I can't get a hold of RO water around here without buying a $140 filter. Can I use istilled water and add stress coat cause i read in the article that distilling doesn't remove chlorine or chloramines. if not wat would I have to do to my tap water to make it safe? still looking for stocking ideas too lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store