freshwater crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
¤gïñ§ïng§¤ said:
Hi led_zeppelin,

They can also introduce harmful parasites. And some of those critters can grow to be HUGE!!! 6" or more...so unless you want to be pinching off claws :eek: you might want to make sure any tankmates are fast swimmers.

I also understand they're very opportunistic feeders, even with a small mouth and peaceful bottom-dwelling appearance...I've heard they won't let go of any slow-moving fin if they take a notion to grab hold of it...so they aren't picky.
I am not aware of any documented instances of cross-phylum transmission of disease as regards Uca spp. - could you provide a source?

The dominant claws of fiddlers are ineffectual for purposes of capturing prey; they are primarily instruments of interspecific communication.

JosephMCorbett

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
Northern California
I've had one in my tank for about 6 months. He's more scared of the fish than they are of him. I shouldn't say he's scared anymore, however. It took him about two weeks to figure out he wasn't food and now he's everywhere. Take a look at my sig. for tankmates. He is all over the tank and eats just about anything including algae. I feed him Hakari Crab Cuisine which is high in calcium for his shell. He's one of the most active critters in the tank and very comical with the claw. He'll raise it up/down and up/down while he eats with the other. I suppose he's just trying to spook the fish away with the claw. The only fish I was worried about bothering him were the Clowns, but they pay no attention to him. Also, there are females that have two small claws and the males have the gigantic single claw. He doesn't bother any of the fish and they don't bother him - however, my experience with large Cichlids is that they will eat what fits in thier mouths. He'll walk right by the cories without a second look and perch on top of the Pleco waving his claw around. As mentioned earlier, they do need access to air. They must be able to climb to the surface or get to a bubble bar, etc.

PurpleSmurf

AC Members
May 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
purplesmurf.com
Can you give us a picture? I'm really interested in have a crab but I want I'd like to see what what kinds are fish friendly.

JosephMCorbett

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
Northern California
Sorry it took so long, but here's some pics. One has some Platies to show scale. Another has some Angels...this one, the Angel in the foreground is 5" tall and the crab is about 12" away in the background. HTH.

320x240.jpg 420x320.jpg 420x320-2.jpg

?g????ng??

AC Members
Jun 23, 2005
My utter apologies to led_zeppelin and Veneer...:huh:...somehow I got freshwater crab confused with crawfish...go figure...

By the way zep, my screen name is a combination of ASCII code, which you can also create playing with fonts in Word.

Please disregard my last post...hey :idea2: maybe next time I'll read the thread better before I give my two cents.

So sorry.

¤gïñ§ïng§¤

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
¤gïñ§ïng§¤ said:
My utter apologies to led_zeppelin and Veneer...:huh:...somehow I got freshwater crab confused with crawfish...go figure...

By the way zep, my screen name is a combination of ASCII code, which you can also create playing with fonts in Word.

Please disregard my last post...hey :idea2: maybe next time I'll read the thread better before I give my two cents.

So sorry.

¤gïñ§ïng§¤
no problem

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
i bought a fiddler crab today, i should have came home a researched him before i bought him. hes in my 20g. I couldnt resist, he was the only one they had, and they said they rarely get a shipment of crabs. so it was either now or never. He's doing okay with my danios. Their to fast for him...its actually a gurl, she had the small pincers. What do they eat?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store