freshwater crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JosephMCorbett

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
Northern California
They eat anything and everything. Don't worry about her bothering your fish...very peacful. Do make sure there are no openings at the top of your tank or she will get out. Mine was hanging out on top of my acrylic tank and under the canopy within 4 hours of arrival. I plugged the holes with filter floss. Also, make sure it can get to the surface and perch for air or have a bubble bar on the bottom. As far as food, pick up some Hakari crab cuisine or comparable (hermit crab meal, etc.). This type of food is needed because of the high calcium content for the shell. Mine was shy for about a month until he figured out he was completely safe. Now he is everywhere. He's actually a pain when I'm trying to clean and fix plants. Always in the way looking for a handout. Also, don't be alarmed to find an upside down crab somewhere legs up...they molt and shed thier entire shell every few months when growing. I found this and thought "oh no", and then I saw the crab hanging out on a powerhead. He was a lighter color and stayed up there for protection for a few days while his shell hardened and resumed its natural brown/red color. Enjoy.

A15

A15
Jun 25, 2005
Abilene, TX
I have two Crabs in my aquarium. We have some floating plants and they go up to the top of them everynow and then. We have 2 Blue Gouramis, 2 Red Gouramis, 10 Zebra Danios, 6 Tiber Barbs, 2 Green Barbs, 2 Red tail Sharks, 2 Plecos, 4 Neon Tetras, and 1 4" Tin Foil Barb. All the fish live peacefully with them, they get picked on my the Barbs but can hold there own. One thing I will say is they are escape artists, they will find ways to get out of the aquarium. It took about 3 times for me to completely escape proof my tank. They will use bubblers to swim to the top and they will sit on them and chill.

Mine eat anything that drops to the bottom of the tank and and also will eat any dead parts of my live plants. Between them and the Plecos they keep the aquarium very clean.

They do need lots of places to hide and the like to climb vegitation as far up as they can and eat stuff off of them.

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
yeah i actually found a male so now i have 2. And the female is very good at sneaking around. I came home from work and i couldnt see her, thought she got out. Something told me to check the filter and there she was, hnaging out inside the dark little filter. Smart little thing. im going to add a cave, they dont have much dark places, she acryally just dug a little ditch by a clutter of plants. they use that as a cave.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store