Frontosa's gasping for air

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bkincaid22

AC Members
Jan 19, 2013
It is a 100 gallon aquarium. My water quality is all fine which is why I am confused. The Koralia's are there for water circulation not air. I just misspoke on that one.

I will try to move my koralia up so that it creates agitation at the top of the water and see if that helps. I do have canister filters that are creating water agitation at surface as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
How many fish do you have in the setup besides the Front's..

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If water quality checks out next thing to look at for gasping woul be a possible infestation of gill flukes.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Wouldn't gill flukes affect other fish in the tank, too? "They are the only ones struggling" implies there are other fish in the tank.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I was having issues with mine doing the same thing in a 120gal you can add the wave maker where it is aiming at the surface or a Large powerhead with the attached hose to create the bubbles that will agitate the surface either or will suffice and should stop the heavy breathing..

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Hows the problem the past couple weeks?

Another source of labored breathing (which can affect different species in the same tank differentially) is a reaction after water changes from chlorine & chloramines and a pH drop. Is this symptom chronic or acute? If acute, do you think it is worse after water changes?

Removing large boulders from a recently cycled tank can cause the same symptoms too. Not sure if you have changed your aquascape recently?

Best wishes,
Russ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store