Future Card shop

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unvmyplecos

without sorrow happiness is nothing
Jun 26, 2008
NY
thanks for the info

Fishy_Fun

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Oregon
I work at a card shop, we stopped selling sports cards when the new owner took over.We now mainly sell gaming cards, magic the gathering,pokemon and yugioh.I sell yugioh cards online and must say they have a higher resell rate then most cards i have seen/sold.

If you can hold tournaments, you would make alot more money.We hold tourneys for yugioh,pokemon and magic 3 times a week.You really can see the difference when you hold a tournament money wise compared to a regular day.Just something to think about if you have the room.

P.S.i got two of those crush card viruses you speak of. :perv:

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
This is not going to be easy for you. I would definitely suggest having touraments. You are going to have to make your place 'the place to be' and have other things to offer to draw customers in.

Other things to consider besides cards & tournaments:
-Sell Board Games & tournaments
-Hosting kids bday parties
-Memoribilia & collectibles (baseball cards/balls, original animation cels, etc)
-Trading events/auctions

You need to make a detailed business plan of all the things you are going to do to get business.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
make a very detailed business plan.

read the book written by teh dogfish head brewery owner
http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Up-Bu...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238677340&sr=8-1
why this one? because it is fun and entertaining.

your upfront expenses are going to be massive beyond belief so a good business plan will help convince the bank and investors (aka yoru friends and relatives...lol)
thats a good book - well written with a good balance of things you really need to do, but still making it sound like its a very possible thing to do.

Hang around some of these different shops, talk to the owners, talk to the customers. Try to figure out what they would want that they aren't getting. Do lots of market research. Look at some financial data and learn to understand balance sheets and income statements, and if possible write up pro-forma financials for what you expect for your first year. Sales, expenses, etc.

This is another good book that explains the ins and outs and walks you through the whole process.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Small-Business_W0QQprZ45321199QQtgZinfo

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
thats a good book - well written with a good balance of things you really need to do, but still making it sound like its a very possible thing to do.

Hang around some of these different shops, talk to the owners, talk to the customers. Try to figure out what they would want that they aren't getting. Do lots of market research. Look at some financial data and learn to understand balance sheets and income statements, and if possible write up pro-forma financials for what you expect for your first year. Sales, expenses, etc.

This is another good book that explains the ins and outs and walks you through the whole process.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Small-Business_W0QQprZ45321199QQtgZinfo
i am actually only on page 120ish of the book right now, it is much better than most other books. it does not relate to your industry at all but makes sure to talk about all other industries as well...also it is about beer! you cant go wrong with beer!

good luck and keep us posted....the pain and suffering you willl go through during the startup process is well worth it

Teto

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
I am not in the bussines however i am a college student in finance. my recomendations for that kind of bussines would be to keep it lean. meaning that if you do not need something just don hold it in the store. i know that this kind of store hold a lot of things just for hobby credibility but thanks to computers you would not need a lot of inventory you always can use some kind of Just in time management model. Just-In-Time management is the leaner and quickest way of doing things and there are a lot if not hundreds of books that talk about just in time.

unvmyplecos

without sorrow happiness is nothing
Jun 26, 2008
NY
ok so here are the things i'm getting from what you guys say:
- Do plenty of market research (what kind of cards/games do you like/play etc.)
- talk to owners of local card shops
-speak with friends and ask them what they think of your plans and possible investment oppurtunities
-hold tournaments but don't go overboard with non-essentials.
-host weekly parties/auctions/get togethers and host birthday parties.
-do plenty of consulting with financial guru's (for now my father since he owned 3 businesses)
-buy a dictionary
Tell me if those are what your kind of getting at.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
lol whats the dictionary for?

your father should be a good mentor(as long as he had 3 successful businesses)

get a business plan as well....it will help you realise thigns you never thought of.

you will need a website and maybe some e-commerce capability

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store