FW Moray

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
yea, i hear u man. thanks but im kinda pissed off that so many people would just lie to my face like that, you know? I mean I just dont know too much about this particular species, or about how to maintain it in FW or Brackish. but i guess i know what ima do now.

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
You would be suprised what some LFS people will say. I understand that you dont know what to believe. Its best to do a lot of research on google. First off Identify what eel you have. If its the one in the post i made on the first page, it will definitely need brackish around .018 specific gravity. Do a google search on Gymnothorax tile. If its not then try and get a picture of it so we can ID it, because it may ultimetely need full salt water to survive long term.

Also what type of "sharks" do you have. Because some of those require brackish to full salt long term. They could make good tank mates in my opinion, but most fish sold as sharks (besides red tail black sharks and the albino ones) will get pretty large. If this is what you have Arius jordani, then it can get 14-16" long and would need a tank bare minimum 20" deep and 5" long.

Let us know exactly what you have so we can give you the best advice. And sorry for some people getting rude, Its understandable you dont know what to believe. But i can tell you want to do whats best.

MyTankIsAnArena

Practice wrong makes perfect wrongs
Jan 9, 2005
Lincoln, NE
ineedabox said:
I mean, I'm sure you guys are right, but I really want one and my dumbass brain is almost trying to convice itself that it would be alright to have one in all FW, but I'm not gonna do it. I guess Ill just clean out the ol 55 and brackis it up, if u know what i mean. ****, that's another month lost to cycling again. Oh well, worth the wait if you ask me.
Okay, okay. Stop picking on one another. And, just so everyone knows, you're all right, but also partially wrong. I kept a 15" G. tile in a 10 g tank for 3 years. He thrived, not just lived. He doesn't hunt, he eats what swims close to him. The water was full fresh, and I did not do anything to my medium hard tapwater but dechlorinate it and add him. He did fine with all the other fish I had, and didn't even harass the ghost shrimp.

Just food for thought: they can be kept in freshwater. For all of their lives. And don't require much more than they have for a hiding space and a small hunting territory adjacent to it.

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
MyTankIsAnArena said:
Okay, okay. Stop picking on one another. And, just so everyone knows, you're all right, but also partially wrong. I kept a 15" G. tile in a 10 g tank for 3 years. He thrived, not just lived. He doesn't hunt, he eats what swims close to him. The water was full fresh, and I did not do anything to my medium hard tapwater but dechlorinate it and add him. He did fine with all the other fish I had, and didn't even harass the ghost shrimp.

Just food for thought: they can be kept in freshwater. For all of their lives. And don't require much more than they have for a hiding space and a small hunting territory adjacent to it.

Im sorry but you're incorrect...that moray would not have lived a full life in FW...they live to 15years +. The one species that can be kept FW for all its life, and thats even still debated, is Gymnothorax polyuranodon, which is rarely seen in the trade.

Would you confine a handicapped person to a bedroom, no so why would you want to put it in a 10g tank, they can get 2 feet long....even if they dont move a whole lot (that you see) that is still terribly small.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
A goldfish can live its whole life ina bowl. But its life will surely be shorter than in a 75 gallon tank or pond. 3 years isn't that long for a creature that can expect to live much longer.

Bucho

Just along for the ride
Dec 13, 2002
Visit site
The Moral of the Story

I have no idea what type of fish your are talking about ( I think some others don't as well ) nor do I know how to take care of it ( Ditto previous comment). The fact of the matter is is that there isn't a right or wrong answer. Many people have success with what others would think is impossible. What you want to do is take an average of what is said and make a plan for yourself. Over time if you see that the eel is not well, get a bigger tank, increase salinity, change something with the hopes that it will improve the quality of life for your fish. Hopefully no one here will consider themselves an expert on anything and will be willing to consider the views and opinions of others. That said, what you do with those views and opinions is your choice. Good Luck in whatever you decide. Fortunalety you took the time to ask as oppsed to putting this young eel into a 5g hex like many others before you have with their fish.

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
Bucho said:
I have no idea what type of fish your are talking about ( I think some others don't as well ) nor do I know how to take care of it ( Ditto previous comment). The fact of the matter is is that there isn't a right or wrong answer. Many people have success with what others would think is impossible. What you want to do is take an average of what is said and make a plan for yourself. Over time if you see that the eel is not well, get a bigger tank, increase salinity, change something with the hopes that it will improve the quality of life for your fish. Hopefully no one here will consider themselves an expert on anything and will be willing to consider the views and opinions of others. That said, what you do with those views and opinions is your choice. Good Luck in whatever you decide. Fortunalety you took the time to ask as oppsed to putting this young eel into a 5g hex like many others before you have with their fish.
Amen brother. You read my mind and earned my respect.

OK guys, how about this plan, I will:

-clean up a 55 gallon tank
-put all new gravel in there
-make plenty of caves out of rocks, decor, and even PVC pipe if i have to
-cycle the tank for 3 weeks
-put the correct amount of salt in it
-let that cycle another week or two
-go buy the eel
-shtick eem on in da tank

eh?

MyTankIsAnArena

Practice wrong makes perfect wrongs
Jan 9, 2005
Lincoln, NE
Here here!!

And I should have prefaced my remarks: Results depicted are exceptional and do not represent the success of every client.

:)

zekni

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
Zenki....is your eel the one in the first link E. rhodochilus, or the one in the seccond link G. tile? also has yours been eating....usually when they are swimming like you're describing (unless its at night) then they arent comfortable, either not enough hiding spots, or its time for you to go brackish...or perhaps upping the SG a little.

Seaman, my eel eats as much as I feed him. He's a G. Tile that I ordered online, as that's not the common "freshwater moray" (E. rhodochilus) they sell around me.

He comes out of his cave when I open the hood and swims to the top of the tank to take food from me. He also actively hunts the guppies and ghost shrimp in his tank. I'd had him probably a year or so when he started doing that. I've kept him almost four years, he's nearly two feet long now from about 5". He is in light brackish, not freshwater, so are his guppies. I tried to take his SG up prior a couple years back and he stopped eating for nearly six months until I took it back down. Go figure.
In any event, most of the information you find on the web about fw morays is the same no matter what name they have them labled as. Large, brackish - NOT freshwater, keep a tight lid on your tank.
Mine eats tankmates, so if yours doesn't all the more luck to you, I have an 84gal that quite often looks very empty, until he's out and about and that tank doesn't look big enough. I definately think 40 is too small. I started this guy in a 55, and it was about a year before I upgraded.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store