German Blue Ram

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
Just a couple of pellets for the rams is fine. They also love frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. You could try adding that to their diet a few times/week. You just don't want any food left over at all. Also, you don't want to feed them every time they swim over to the glass to beg for it! Once/day is good, but rams usually do well with a couple of smaller meals instead of one big one. So, usually give mine pellets in the morning and then a bit of the frozen food in the afternoon. Watch their tummies, if they begin to grow and plump up you are feeding enough, if they stay skinny and somewhat shrunken you should add more... females produce eggs, so I usually feed them more - if possible! All the other fish try to get in on the action.

Cathy

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
Ok. That sounds good. Thanks a lot.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice start on that tank.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I would move the pirate ship off to the left or right. Put it in what photographers call a "power point". Split the tank into thirds and place the ship on one of these immaginary lines. This causes the eye to move across the tank and be drawn to the ship. Just a suggestion.

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not really a creative person so I just stuck it in the middle. But I will consider that option when I switch the stuff around in the tank. It is just a start....hopefully moving on to bigger and better in the future.

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
Well here is an update on the tank....... 2 of the rams have been preying on what seems to be the weaker one and have severely nipped off most of it's tail. I moved it to another tank I have. Also, one of the angels has been picking on the other. I can't tell if it has been letting up or not. There are plenty of hiding spots and I don't want what happened to the ram to happen to this one. The tank is fairly large with many plants, rocks, etc.

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
So how do you guys do your water changes? Empty out the right amount, then refill it using buckets? Do you treat the water before you put it in or after? Thanks.

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
I fill a big vat with the new water - I treat it with a declorinator, and get it up to the same temperature as the tank. Then I gravel vac the tank and drain out around 50% of the water. Then I add back in the new clean stuff with a bucket. I pour the water over the top of one of my hands to break the force of the pouring
Hope this helps. Oh, don't add salt... don't add anything to 'improve the slime coat' etc. All this is hype.

Be sure to keep your tanks' water very clean - the kind of stress you describe could lead to disease. Get a nitrate test kit if you don't have one and keep it under 5 until the rams' fins grow back. If you don't watch the water quality carefully bacterial infections/fungus could set in.

Cathy

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
That sounds like a good idea. I just have to find myself some kind of big container to hold the water now. The tank seems to be doing well now. Unfortunately the ram that was being harassed has since died....but the the other two rams have split the bottom in half and are doing well. The more aggressive of the two angels has stopped nipping the other one and it's fins are growing back nicely. Overall things are doing well. I just cleaned and refilled the water 1 bucket at a time and it took forever!

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thank you for your quick replies! I have read some differing opinions for water temp regarding the Blue Rams and the Gouramis. I have read anywhere from 75-82 for the Rams and 74-80 for the Gouramis. Can anyone clarify this?
So, the temps are 75-82 and 74-80....try setting the tank at 78-80 to keep them all happy?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store