German Blue Ram

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
The tank has 2 german blues, 2 angelfish, and 5 red cherry barbs. It also has some glass shrimp at the bottom. The temp is at 81-83 degrees.

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
Doesn't sound like this tank was cycled based on the info given so far, and the questions on water changes.

Blue rams are very sensitive to water conditions..... You will have to watch all of them very closely.

Do you have a test kit for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate?

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
Sorry for taking so long in replying, I've been busy. But the water parameters are:
Ammonia: Don't have a tester for that yet.
Nitrate: Less than 10
Nitrite:0
Water Temp: 83
-This is the third or fourth week that it has been up and running.
Also, there seems to be some spots of green/brown algae growing on the glass. Is this normal? I think it is spreading. I got a rubber nose pleco to help with it.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Your tank is not yet fully cycled. You will need to do frequent water changes untill the nitrites reach 0. Test the water frequently and change the water every couple of days. It's a hassle but if you don't bring those nitrite levels down you will lose the Rams and maybe the others as well.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Oops , I misread your post. Guess the nitrites are 0 after all. Still, I would do frequent water changes and get an ammonia test kit. 3 to 4 weeks is a pretty short period to be cycling and stocking a tank. And the Rams in particular need very clean water. Good luck.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Sorry for taking so long in replying, I've been busy. But the water parameters are:
Ammonia: Don't have a tester for that yet.
Nitrate: Less than 10
Nitrite:0
Water Temp: 83
-This is the third or fourth week that it has been up and running.
Also, there seems to be some spots of green/brown algae growing on the glass. Is this normal? I think it is spreading. I got a rubber nose pleco to help with it.
green algae is pretty normal..the rubbernose may not eat the brown..if it doesn't just scrape it off.(oto's love the stuff..but angels love oto's(for food)
were you able to get an ammonia test kit?
3-4 weeks i pretty short for cycling but It has been done with the right conditions..
once the tank matures the brown algae should go away.
you will also have plenty of live bacteria to cycle when MTS hits(multi tank syndrome)
with good source of bacteria you can cycle a tank in 3-5 days...LOL

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
Thanks, gmh & star_rider. I just got an ammonia test kit today, with the vials and everything. Before I was using the test strips which I read are not really precise. These are this morning before I did a water change:
Ph: 7.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate <5
-I also found a few otos at the pet shop today. 5 for 3.50 or something like that so I picked up a few. If the angels eat them then it was live food, but if not then my little sister's tank might need a few. But dang! Already they are chowing down on the brown algae.
-And star_rider you were right about the pleco! He is feasting on the green, but not the brown.
-I also got one of those MAG-FlOAT magnets and cleaned most of it off, but left some for the little guys. I was skeptical about it, figuring "How well can this magnet with a pad contraption really work?", but boy was I wrong! I am going to have to return a few other algae removing devices because that is all I need.
-This is the end of the 4th week I have had the tank set up and everyone is doing fine except for one of the angels, he still seems very intimidated by the other one. Is it typical to have a dominant fish? I find that each type of fish that I have, one is more dominant than the other of it's species?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:thm:

great...sounds to me the tank is cycled..

your angels are small ..right??
just keep an eye on them as the oto's have the same defense mechanism as other catfish..(sharp barbs/spines on the gill plate)

sounds like you may have a dominant angel being...dominant..

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
Yes, they are only a couple of inches long. When I first got them both of their fins were relatively shorter than they are now. Angel #1's look like they are fully regrown, but #2 who is always hiding and running from the other one, his fins haven't grown back much. I am figuring this other angel is picking on the other one. Hopefully it will stop.....If not, off to another tank. And I will keep an eye on the otos and angels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store