Getting a fire eel...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Its really sad in a way, you have a few here that tells you its not a good idea, you still want to go ahead and do it and right after you wanted to learn something of the fish prior to having it, why don't you look into some other freshwater eel to keep or something other then a eel? Fish when over crowded/stock in a tank often can become more acceptable to ich due to stress. :headshake2:

And one other thing, when and if getting any species, what if freshwater or marine, if your to get this eel from the wild itself, your best to have a QT as well to first house it for up to eight weeks. I know of some expert at another forum link, he done a stupid thing in collecting hermit and snails or so, and he placed them in his main tank, guess what happen to his live stock!!??

Buddy

linkinpark

AC Members
Mar 10, 2009
yeah i do have o hospital tank though and i will put the fire eel or any other eel for at least one month. And how many times did you do something that wasn't necessary correct but you experimented:)

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
yeah i do have o hospital tank though and i will put the fire eel or any other eel for at least one month. And how many times did you do something that wasn't necessary correct but you experimented:)
Lots of times during my first number of years, for there was a good reason on my part on trying, I had no idea to what was too come from it or if things will work or not. But also, I not had during those times back in the 1940`s and the 1950`s had no Internet or available books on such subjects in which were of more then just basic knowledge. So now here and now that is, you have the help of those who know and understand better in the area in what information you were seeking, so why not accept our knowledge to what you want to do and look for some other freshwater species to maintain? Most who often said that they will upgrade to a larger tank, often it never happens. And on the idea on taking it from the wild, and have it in a QT for only a month, isn't as well idealist, even were I said for eight weeks, it really needs to be in a QT for a few months, you never should rush it any.

linkinpark, I don't think that Nolapete simply wants you to see how they grow, but look at that tank, its not a 55, I have to think he is trying to get you to have a change of mind in housing fire eels in a 55, Will you please have a change of mind in doing this?

Buddy

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
plain and simple linkinpark pete and oldman are saying dont get the eel your tank isnt big enough! a 55 is very small compared to a 300 and you saw how big those creatures are! a 55 will surely stunt and kill the poor eel. get the bigger tank b4 getting the eel. also your name is awesome i love that band :)

jenpen737

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
I feel that one of the saddest factors here is that orignal fish are being re homed to make you for the new one. I personally keep a peacock eel and a ropefish and i have to say that they are not easy to keep or feed.

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
I would also say not to get one, unfortunately:

that fire eel is already ordered so there's nothing i can do now:)
It's always a good idea to research a new animal before you order it, pay for it, or get it. :headshake2:

marinkafuschia

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Olympia, WA
believe me linkinpark don't plan on not having a suicide attempt! they ALWAYS happen with eels. I thought mine wouldn't after a few weeks of having him then one night I left the lid open a crack and ZOOM he shot through when I was sleeping, luckly I'm a light sleeper and I had a tuperware on hand to scoop him up with, it was a horrible ordeal and the hole was very small. they always find a way to escape! so be careful!
and I'm with everyone else, not to drill into ya more but: dont get the fire, get a smaller eel!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store