getting driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MrAquarium

AC Members
Mar 13, 2005
Just a couple added notees here, NEVER soak driftwood in Bleach, not for any amount of time, that is one sure way to run a very high risk of killing your fish.
2nd, NEVER put it in the oven and run it full blast to cure it either, that is a good way to lose everything you have.
You ever see a farmers barn burn down inthe summer when it;s hot, Green Bails of hay is way, You stick your hand in some green bails sometime int he summer and you will see what I mean, It;s very Hot.
Wood would be the same I would tink and it;s not worth risking it all and your families lifes over.
Just toss it in the back of your truck and leave it there a few weeks in the hot summer sun and weather.
Then if you wish to soak it do so in fresh water only......add salt if you will, but never bleach, the only thing your going to get out of the wood after that is prolly some tube worms, and fish eat the heck out of them.......and No they don;t kill your fish, trust me on that one.......
This is the last updated photo of my 75g, it use to have 16 pieces of wood, all wood i found myself, none of this over priced stupit looking LFS wood.

Oh I forgot to add, go to walmart and back where the nails, nuts and bolts n stuff are, you should find different sized suction cups, they come in hanging cantainers, just pull the hooks off it they have them and put a screw right int he middle of it and screw it into the wood where it needs to be to hold it where you want it, I been doing it for almost 20 years and never had one problem this way. the large piece in this tank has it, the one at the top of the water has as well as a few others to hold them inth gravle

MrAquarium

AC Members
Mar 13, 2005
I forgot to add, smell the wood if you pick it up to make sure it isn't cedar, cedar in an aqaurium is bad news....looks good in your yard but not fish tanks.......
Also, some driftwood will turn your water a tinted brownish color, ths will go away after a few water changes and does not cause harm to your fish "unless it;s really really tinted It may be a prob"

luvmyfish

AC Members
Jun 27, 2005
Well...I gotta say that sounds much easier than the recommended bleach method! :thm: thank you for that info!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store