Getting Serious This Time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sy229

"Did someone say fish for Dinner?"
Dec 12, 2007
Central Florida
Latest Install Picture

Finally a picture with the tank in it! I took this one just this morning, we're getting really close now. Just need to add some matching crown molding along the ceiling and a little paint trim. We're finishing up just in time since the holidays are over and its back to work tomorrow :headshake2:

As far as the tank goes, it'll be awhile longer as I have to wait for some replacement parts for the UV sterilizer (lamp and crystal sleeve were broke when I got it), along with a 3d background that will need to be glued in. More to follow..

IMG_2125a.JPG

Sy229

Dec 12, 2007
Central Florida
AC Moderator Dudes,

I'd like to continue this photo journal as I do the tank build up, but forgive a newbie for starting it in the wrong forum. Could one of you assist by moving my thread to the appropriate forum..

Oh, and I've already learned a lot looking at some of the DIY posts - Great Site!

Thanks

Sy229

Dec 12, 2007
Central Florida
I got the replacement parts in for my Aqua 40 Watt UV Sterilizer and its working now.

For anyone thinking about purchasing one, I highly recommending spending the few extra bucks to buy the optional "wiper wand". This is a simple pull bar assembly that allows you to do a quick cleansing wipe of the crystal sleeve that surrounds the UV lamp, without having to disassemble anything.

After seeing how fragile the lamp and crystal sleeve are (esp. on the longer models like my 40 Watt), the wiper wand option will pay for itself in piece of mind alone.

As my model came without the swipe option, I'll have to remove it from its perch under the tank, pull the sleeve out of the housing and carefully wipe it down to remove the mineral/dirt deposits. With the sleeve and lamp running about $50 each, I'll want to be real careful!

Last item on the wait list is the 3D background, which should be at my door in a few days. 'til then..

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Is your floor going to support the weight of that beast? I have jacks under my 125, and yours is bigger than that... just the weight of the water alone is close to a ton...

Just a heads up...

Sy229

Dec 12, 2007
Central Florida
Is your floor going to support the weight of that beast? I have jacks under my 125, and yours is bigger than that... just the weight of the water alone is close to a ton...

Just a heads up...
Don't let the wood flooring fool ya - Ours is a typical Florida home-on-slab arrangement. The base I made out of the 4x4s actually sits on the concrete slab (no wood flooring).

But I appreciate the warning - I've still not fully weight-tested the homemade base, so I'll be doing incremental water fills and keeping one eye on the base and stand...

Returning from work today there was a huge package waiting for me. The 3D background came in! :grinno: Here's a teaser with Pixie (the devil cat) looking on:

IMG_2128a.jpg

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Welcome to AC, awesome tank. Great to have you here.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Personally, since there will be a view from ea. side of the tank (unless I misunderstood something), I'd not use the 3D background, and I'd stuff the canopy w/ T-5s & go (heavily) planted. That tank is actually big enough to grow some small swords & tons of stem plants.

Sy229

Dec 12, 2007
Central Florida
Personally, since there will be a view from ea. side of the tank (unless I misunderstood something), I'd not use the 3D background, and I'd stuff the canopy w/ T-5s & go (heavily) planted. That tank is actually big enough to grow some small swords & tons of stem plants.
I share your concern about the view from the side, although only one side will actually show -the others against the drywall. I've been thinking about my options there - maybe something as simple as a neutral color 2D background for the back third of the glass, paint (if it's removable later?), or even a matching wood panel..

I plan to include some live and mostly silk plants, and eventually work may way into mostly live if I'm successful. Any suggestions on the best "newbie" plants to get things started (without special lighting or CO2 infusion)? I've seen several references/photo of java moss that looks interesting. Will this grow on a crushed coral substrate? (I know, I know - I have lots more reading to do here to catch up on..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store