Getting the 240 gallon up and running

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zebvance

AC Members
Sep 21, 2010
College station texas
Real Name
Zeb
the tank plus stand pumps ect cost me about 1100 bucks to get up and running over the about of about 8 months. Im a broke college student. so if I can do it you can!!! All you have to do is live on craigslist...

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
zebvance I saw your thread over on MFK too, your tank is awesome. I love the drifwood. That eheim is a serious canister. I bet most people don't know there is a pump mounted on top. Post a pic with no lid! :D

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
I would not have the space for something like that - and I'd be worried about the floor. Of course, when I lived down in Houston there were no basements, so I'm guessing College Station is also slab construction?

GotTanked

30g Planted Barb Tank
Jul 23, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
My jealousy meter is officially broken. Drooooool. Anyway, on to questions/comments/suggestions:

How are the africans doing with the plants so far? Generally africans are plant eaters... which brings me to my next comment...

How are the africans/SAs mixing so far? Once again, generally, they are suggested to be kept separate because the Africans like leafy food, and SA cichlids like meaty food. The meaty food can cause issues in african cichlids.

As far as your scape goes, it looks great :) What kind of wood is that? I think the tank would look even better if you added more rocks behind the wood.

zebvance

AC Members
Sep 21, 2010
College station texas
Real Name
Zeb
zebvance I saw your thread over on MFK too, your tank is awesome. I love the drifwood. That eheim is a serious canister. I bet most people don't know there is a pump mounted on top. Post a pic with no lid! :D

AS Requested a Pic of the eheim with our the lid cover on.

004.JPG

zebvance

AC Members
Sep 21, 2010
College station texas
Real Name
Zeb
I would not have the space for something like that - and I'd be worried about the floor. Of course, when I lived down in Houston there were no basements, so I'm guessing College Station is also slab construction?
Yes there is nothing but slab construction here for the post part. If you had a basement you would def have to reinforce the floor on the 1st story seeing as how the tank weighs around 3000 pounds.

My jealousy meter is officially broken. Drooooool. Anyway, on to questions/comments/suggestions:

How are the africans doing with the plants so far? Generally africans are plant eaters... which brings me to my next comment...

How are the africans/SAs mixing so far? Once again, generally, they are suggested to be kept separate because the Africans like leafy food, and SA cichlids like meaty food. The meaty food can cause issues in african cichlids.

As far as your scape goes, it looks great
:) What kind of wood is that? I think the tank would look even better if you added more rocks behind the wood.

The plants are doing good. The pick at them every once in a while but I made sure to get a hardy hair grass to put up with the abuse from them. Most other plants wouldn't last very long. I also just put some java moss in there today on the driftwood and we will see how the fish take to it.

The fish are getting a long good with the exception of the
Chipokae Mbuna/Melanochromis chipokae. He is the only one that really starts problems with the other fish. Next trip i take to the Houston fish stores i am bringing him with me for trade in. I feed them all pellets which give them both a equally share of meats and veggies. They are growing heath.

The type of wood is unknown because it washed up on a local beach and I had to grab it haha. If you look back to the start of the thread there is a link to finding/cleaning the driftwood.

[FONT=&quot]I also do plan on getting more rocks I just have to bring a bucket next time i go to my girlfriends apartment so I can steal some more out of there flower bed..:evil_lol:
[/FONT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store