ghost shrimp or amano shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 29, 2007
to sensitive to water conditions and they can change fast in a tank this size, especially the nitrates that can damage the barbels. Of course with good filtration and good lot of water changes its possible. Its my opinion, if you want do have dwarf cories go ahead.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
to sensitive to water conditions and they can change fast in a tank this size, especially the nitrates that can damage the barbels. Of course with good filtration and good lot of water changes its possible. Its my opinion, if you want do have dwarf cories go ahead.
LOL they are not that sensitive, less sensitive than otos.

Mar 29, 2007
cories need a low nitrate and in a 10 gallon tank, nitrates can rise fast. Otos normally die of starvation rather than a high nitrates anyway.

DaveinSF

AC Members
Apr 12, 2005
if your gonna have otos dont get amano, get ghost, with 2 otos already there will be a lot of competition over algae.
In a 10 gallon tank (or even much larger) there is not going to be enough algae to feed the otos anyway, so you will have to supplement both with algae wafers. Amanos will also eat the things ghost shrimp eat-- shrimp pellets, frozen blood worms, etc. and they are somewhat bigger than ghost shrimp. Also, they live A LOT longer than ghost shrimp.

Mar 29, 2007
otos rarely eat algae wafers, they sometimes eat fresh veges but some only eat aquarium algae and nothing else.

Addict

Here fishy, fishy
Feb 23, 2005
Ohio
www.digitaldeviation.com
I'd get some ghost shrimp first since they are cheap. See how they work out for you.

Then move onto the others. Personally I like my Asian Filter Shrimp. They get a bit bigger than Cherries (mine are already at 3" or so) I think, so you probably couldn't get too many for your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store