ghost shrimp or amano shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaveinSF

AC Members
Apr 12, 2005
otos rarely eat algae wafers, they sometimes eat fresh veges but some only eat aquarium algae and nothing else.
Mine eat algae wafers, and I've had some of them for over two years. Trust me-- there's not enough aquarium algae in my tank for anything to live off.

Mar 29, 2007
i do trust you, and im sure other people are as lucky as you, but it is rare, a bit more common for them to eat fresh veges, but really unless you have enough algae, dont get them. Maybe if they eat algae wafers, then you can place them in a smaller tank but you need to be sure they eat wafers and stuff.

DaveinSF

AC Members
Apr 12, 2005
i do trust you, and im sure other people are as lucky as you, but it is rare, a bit more common for them to eat fresh veges, but really unless you have enough algae, dont get them. Maybe if they eat algae wafers, then you can place them in a smaller tank but you need to be sure they eat wafers and stuff.
I guess my point was that I've had a number of ottos over the past several years (4-6 at a time) and I've never had a problem with any of them eating algae wafers. I don't think it's as uncommon as you think. If anything, they seem to prefer the algae wafers over vegetables. They're all over them, in fact!

robodadu

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2013
I have 6 dwarf cories in a 10 gal with many Heterandria Formosa, 4 Amano shrimp and a couple of Nerite snails, all seems well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store