Goldfish Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Guys, we may need your help on this one so this forum will have a list of suitable tankmates. Could everyone please contribute a list of compatible and incompatible tankmates for goldfish?

We realize this in itself like other aspects of the hobby is very subjective so if possible, be polite when you disagree about possible tankmates and remember to accept that experiences will vary so what may work for you, may not work for the others.

For particular species with conflicting information of whether they will work with goldfish or not, we can weigh this down based on the unanimous agreement/disagreement by the members who have actually experienced it.

Once all the necessary information have been poured, they will be compiled along with the conflicting information if necessary so the readers can benefit from it based on their convictions.

Thank you!

So far, the list is as follows.

Compatible
Dojo loaches
Apple snails
Nerite snails-except spiny ones
Bristlenose plecos-females in my experience fare much better
Bitterlings
Pimephales (fathead minnows/rosy reds)
Nocomis (river chubs)
Notemigonus (golden shiners)
Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus)
Trapdoor snails

Incompatible
Chinese algae eaters
Guppies
Common plecos
Koi-not compatible for rather slow moving fancy goldies
Kuhli loaches
Hillstream loaches
Clown loaches
Yoyo loaches
Bettas
Corydoras
Otocinclus
Malaysian trumpet snails
Spiny nerites
Sunfish

On the fence
Yellow perch
Rosy barbs
Zebra danio
Semotilus (creek chubs)-These minnows are rambunctious fish and assertive feeders, so should probably not be kept with bubble eyes or other delicate fancies.

Contributors:
ksane
Inka4040
Notophthalmus
SubRosa
Sevast0
beabroca
pezzy
kyryah

Last edited:

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
Lupin, I've had great success keeping Mollys and Platys with Goldfish. Most people don't realize that Mollys (in particular) and Platys like temps in the 70's like Goldfish do. They also all eat the same thing, mainly algae, plant material, veggies, etc. For the record I only keep female Mollys and Platys with Goldfish, the males are too ornery for gentle Goldfish in most cases.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
MTS are a perfect shape for getting lodged in a goldfish's throat. I would also omit any of the spiny clithon type nerites from the list.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Bitterlings and Yellow Perch are 2 fish I've kept in ponds with GF. Perch are totally unlike Sunfish and ignore what they can't swallow.

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Since you included info about not keeping koi with the more delicate fancies, what about making that distinction for comets, shubs, and commons?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
To be perfectly fair, all the fancies aren't even entirely compatible across the board.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
ive had my Pctus Catfish with my oranda for over a year and both are great :)

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I wondered once if rosy barbs would work - they are omnivorous and the temp range (64-72 F) is right. They are also peaceful and large and fast enough to not get swallowed.

I might actually try it.

Kristina

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
I wondered once if rosy barbs would work - they are omnivorous and the temp range (64-72 F) is right. They are also peaceful and large and fast enough to not get swallowed.
I might actually try it.
Kristina
Let us know if you do, I'm interested in their compatibility. That'd make a nice colorful addition to a tank with Goldfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store