Goldfish Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Any of the mid-sized American cyprinids will work with comets, commons, and the less-delicate fancy varieties. I have kept goldies with adult Pimephales (fathead minnows/rosy reds), Nocomis (river chubs), Notemigonus (golden shiners), and Semotilus (creek chubs). These minnows are rambunctious fish and assertive feeders, so should probably not be kept with bubble eyes or other delicate fancies.

I also had a similar-sized warmouth (Lepomis gulosus) and comet together for a while. I saw no issues, but warmouth are shy fish and probably don't appreciate the constant activity and inquisitive nature of goldfish.

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
I have kept a small school of zebra danios with goldfish. I read they like the cooler water like goldfish. They did pretty well, everyone just ignored everyone when I had them together.

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
I have 4 corydoras [3 albino and 1 panda] in with my goldfish since the beginning of there time here in Late feb. No-one bothers anyone except when i put algae wafers in there, then they all go nutto.

I agree with the common Pleco, during our transition into the large tank there was limited algae in the tank from natural growth and as said above those goldfish love the wafers, tried everything to let them eat on the other side so the pleco could eat, soon after a few many days of them not letting him eat right he started pushing them down and sucking on there sides. Bad week in that tank. Any other time the pleco did not bother, but then he had adeqate things to eat.
Needless to say...we got no credit for him at the lfs and he was sold for 30 $ :(:(:(:(

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
MTS are a perfect shape for getting lodged in a goldfish's throat. I would also omit any of the spiny clithon type nerites from the list.
Ahhh..Good point, Rick. I forgot the spiny nerites completely. I did have some and withdrew them from my goldish tanks after thinking the spines could damage them. Thanks for pointing that one.:)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Okay, I edited first post to update everything constantly. Those "on the fence" may need weighing in before they are finally put on one side.

Thanks so far for your thoughts, guys! It's appreciated! If you have any more suggestions, please feel free.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
I have 4 corydoras [3 albino and 1 panda] in with my goldfish since the beginning of there time here in Late feb. No-one bothers anyone except when i put algae wafers in there, then they all go nutto.
After several reports of people having to stick scissors in their goldfish's mouth to cut out a cory, I think that's probably not a good idea long-term.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
I dont know if I would ever keep any sunfish species with Goldies....

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
What about white cloud mountain minnows or borneo suckers? I dont know if they would work but I figure they would.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
Ok never mind about the borneo suckers

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
After several reports of people having to stick scissors in their goldfish's mouth to cut out a cory, I think that's probably not a good idea long-term.

ouch, never heard that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store