Got caught up in the DIY background hype...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
what are you talking about $25??? Its $6 CDN for a 2' x 8' sheet at home depot, or was when I bought it, and I actually managed to find some mis-cut foam in with the mis-cut wood, for $2.

find a construction site and tear some off the houses ;)
just cut out what you need, and leave a little note and a few dollars behind.
Yeah man, I went back for more and looked again. The pink stuff is NOT cheap, not around here anyways. That's okay, I'm doing just fine with the white stuff... it makes a mess, but nothing like some of the stuff I work with. My last major project has been building a fiberglass interior for my car... man, sanding fiberglass and body filler with a power sander makes a SERIOUS mess ;).

Anyways, on with the update!

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Okay, so I glues/foamed otgether abunch of blocks for the LHS cave:

Did some roughing with my wire wheel; observe mess! ;):

Put it in the tank for reference... it still needs a lot of shaping, but I got rid of the bulk of the extra foam, so it's about the right size now.:

Did some sharpie sketching on it... tomorrow I'll take my drawing out there and bring out the DA grinder to finish shaping it the way I want it:

I also added a bunch of foam to the other side... so it will need some adjustment shaping tomorrow as well:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
you better call the weather network dude..... its snowing in your house. :D

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
you better call the weather network dude..... its snowing in your house. :D
You have no idea man... I've chewed through several cubic feet of this stuff now, man what a blizzard!!

I've got the rough shape for both sides about where I'm happy with them right now:

This has happened a couple of times now:

Here is my shop garbage can:

Covered the first side in masking tape:

And a couple of shots of it covered in FG:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yep, looking good!

AquariumFish

still playing with wet spots
Call me paranoid but having worked for Bayliner making boat decks
have you considered how long to cure the Fiberglass so it won't leech out toxic stuff into the water.
The Catalyst is stout stuff!

A lot of that foam stuff is also toxic ...

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Call me paranoid but having worked for Bayliner making boat decks
have you considered how long to cure the Fiberglass so it won't leech out toxic stuff into the water.
The Catalyst is stout stuff!

A lot of that foam stuff is also toxic ...
The whole thing will be sealed with epoxy when done... I've heard mixed thinking on the waterproofness of cured polyester, so I'd rather not take chances. I also want to put concrete mix and paint, and a buttload of other toxic stuff on it before I seal it all in, so it's a bit of a no-brainer to make sure it's all sealed really well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store