Gotta Love Craiglist Free - Live Sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I find it funny though. Everyone didn't answer my question. Just told me not to use it. Except soccerkidbs
we did not answer your question but we gave you honest and experienced advice about buying the sand as it jumped out as a problem to members...

Niko

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
one of the questions was if there was a list of things that are needed to get a tank up and running. was i right that jojo had a list? i hope everything goes well with setting up the tank and i hope what ever happens with the sand goes good as well. the wost outcome to me is that you decide not to use it and create a sand box with it lol

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
one of the questions was if there was a list of things that are needed to get a tank up and running. was i right that jojo had a list? i hope everything goes well with setting up the tank and i hope what ever happens with the sand goes good as well. the wost outcome to me is that you decide not to use it and create a sand box with it lol
I haven't had a chance to look that much for it. I looked under stickies and didn't see it. A link would be great if anyone has one.

I understand everyone's concern about "what may lie beneath" and I'm not ignoring that. I'd be an idiot to put it in an established tank. I completely agree with that. I'm just willing to take a chance on it and see what happens in this completely new setup. At worst case, I'm out some salt and some of my time.

I'm not new to SW as I have over 20 years experience. It's just been a long time since I setup a SW tank. I have so much gear from various purchases that it's not a big expenditure to give it a whirl.

trippkid

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
I can help in a little bit, have to get kids ready for bed and make dinner for wife and myself. What are you planning to keep in this tank?
Matt

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I found jojo's post. Looks like I have all my bases covered fairly well.

The 40 Breeder and 55 that are both drilled will be tied into the 40 sump/refugium. Initially, it will just be the 40B and the sump until I build a new stand to hold all 3.

The stand will be shaped like a capital I, but with a fat middle. The 40L sump of course will be on the bottom, the 40B in the fat middle, then the 55 on top. I just about have the design worked out. I'll probably jump this ahead of my other projects.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
i would get a copper test kit and have the test the sand some how for copper. i would run as many tests on it as possible to make sure that there is nothing harmful that will leach into your tank. i don't know what these tests may be but i am sure there are some. i would rinse it very well. here is a picture of some of the stuff i found in my sand bed just by sifting through it. after finding all that junk i took out the sand and rinsed it in saltwater and got it all clean.
Good gravy.. I think that has to be at least a zoltan lion fish or pbt worth of turbo snail shells in there.. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store