Gotta Love Craiglist Free - Live Sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
its about time grins posted her thread i thought she was slacking on her posting. yea i found over a hundred turbo shells and at least another 100 other types of shells also about a pound of LRR. that was only one of the buckets. i also have to say that my tank that i bought used is doing great. after playing with the sand my tank it looking great and the fish are enjoying themselves.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
oof, I've been busy all night with fish stuff and other stuff earlier this afternoon.

Don't you love when you do something stupid. I picked up the stand to move in and ran smack into the wall with it leaving a nice impression of the corner of the stand. Uggh. Nothing a little spackle won't fix, but it just never looks quite right after.

Grins, your list is awesome. All I need to do is pick up salt and I'm good to get started. I need to decide on lights, but not too worried about it at this point.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
In another email from the guy, he told me that there's lettuce nudibranch babies in the tank. Is that something I'd want?

He's also giving me 30 gallons of RO/DI water.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Those are good nudis...(imagine that... a nudibranch we want in our tank) It will eat algae and they don't tend to die from starvation as easily as the other another good nudi the Berghia which will eat aiptasia. They are preyed upon by some fish such as angels so keep that in mind.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Tomorrow is the Day

I'm going after work to pick up the live sand. Here's a little additional of what he told me:

I just moved all the rest of the rubble rock and shells into my refugium, so the 55 gallon tank just has sand and a few cleaner clams in it. The refugium has rubble rock, a margarita snail I found, some abalone, a nassarius snail that I missed, a few pieces of live rock, some with pink and green coralline and only god knows what else. You can have it all.
I'm thinking that I'm going to let the tank run a few months before adding anything to it. I'm in no rush. I do want a pair of banggai cardinals, a scooter blenny, and a sand-sifter goby of some sort. That's about all I'll get. Maybe a couple good crabs.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The guy I got the sand from is in the Navy, so other than having been busy a bit lately the tank looked maintained rather well. He had a whole lot of gear for his 55 gallon tank included 5 Lifeguard modules and a CPR refugium and skimmer. He had a lot of gear that I'd never pay for because it simply costs too much and I can make DIY stuff to do the same thing. My point is that he spent a lot of time and money on his system.

While we were siphoning off the sand from the tank, he was pointing out all kids of animals like the baby lettuce nudibranchs, abalones, and huge cleaner clams. After we finished with that, he meticulously sifted through the refugium sorting out the rubble rock, couple different snails, etc. into several 5 gallon buckets making sure not to miss any of the bugs. He spent two hours with me from start to finish getting all this stuff ready to go.

I left with 6 5 gallon buckets of sand, rubble, and other stuff. He gave me a full bottle of Paraguard and two full bottles of decapsulated artemia cysts; the refrigerated kind. The guy was great and his gf was funny as hell too. First thing he did when I walked up after we said hello was offer me a beer and then another a little later as soon as I had finished that one.

The tank didn't have any bad smells and the refugium wasn't full of the tell-tale black dead areas. There was of course the sediment from a tank that needed a little TLC and the dirt cloud expected from stirring up a sand bed. It wasn't all that bad. Nothing a few water changes and some TLC won't cure.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get around to cleaning my skimmer and hooking it up. That should speed things along a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store