Gouramis stock check

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I personally wouldnt do it but it can be done. Its really just a guessing game but most of the time youll just see them fighting for territory... Or, in your case, breeding rights for the female. This may be a bit off topic but what type of pleco do you have? Also, that catfish you have will need a larger tank because they do grow quite large.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I tend to agree, though you could go either way, more SD and no gourami, or lose the one SD and keep gourami. I would with the latter still caution on more than one male, this is hit and miss depending upon the temperament of the individual fish. If it were me, I would have one male and three females and then look for other compatible shoaling fish like some of the medium rasbora. Or return the gourami and increase the SD. Just be aware they are vegetarian and will eat soft plants.

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
Thanks. I had a friend pick up a gourami for me and the guy at the pet store said it was a female. It is definately a male. Now I have three silver dollars, a female gourami, and unfortunately two male gouramis. I took everything out so that they might re-establish territories. Its been two days and the two males are getting along. I had some gold fish left over from cycling the tank. Theyre gone now. I got rid of the African Dwarf Frog too, for fear of salmonilia with small ones in the house. I'm definately going to get another silver dollar and was thinking of getting another male gourami to balance out the aggresion? The new male gourami has chased the tetras a little but not caught them.

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
Its a common pleco, not sure any other name but that. The catfish only comes out a for a few minutes in the morning. I'm going set an automatic timer to make sure he gets fed. So I tried to get two females to go with the male, ended up with two males and a female because a friend picked one up for me. They are getting along except the new male is chasing tetras sometimes. Hes not as subdued as the first male. The males are 3.5-4 inches and the female 2 inches.

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
Its a common pleco, not sure any other name but that. The catfish only comes out a for a few minutes in the morning.
You aren't going to be able to keep that pleco long- within the next few months its going to outgrow a 55g because common plecos grow to 2 feet, and a big fish in an inadequately sized tank gets stunted and dies prematurely.

I had two bristlenose in my 55 and they handled the cleaning just fine

As for a gold gourami, I wouldn't. Had one in a community with my mated pearls, and he hassled them non stop

Silver dollars are schooling fish, why not get 2 more similar sized ones?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Thanks. I had a friend pick up a gourami for me and the guy at the pet store said it was a female. It is definately a male. Now I have three silver dollars, a female gourami, and unfortunately two male gouramis. I took everything out so that they might re-establish territories. Its been two days and the two males are getting along. I had some gold fish left over from cycling the tank. Theyre gone now. I got rid of the African Dwarf Frog too, for fear of salmonilia with small ones in the house. I'm definately going to get another silver dollar and was thinking of getting another male gourami to balance out the aggresion? The new male gourami has chased the tetras a little but not caught them.
Do not get a third male gourami. You may be OK with the two, time will tell. But a third is really pushing luck. More females would be advisable however, or the lone female may well get harassed by two males.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
You have another thread on the very same subject. I would suggest you ask a moderator to combine them. It will be much better advice if everyone can see the entire threads together.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
combined

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to stick with the two males, as they seem to be getting along. also I will add 1 or 2 femal gouramis. I have three silver dollars and plan on getting a fourth. the only other fish I plan on getting at this point is a black ghost knife fish. thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store