Gouramis stock check

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to stick with the two males, as they seem to be getting along. also I will add 1 or 2 femal gouramis. I have three silver dollars and plan on getting a fourth. the only other fish I plan on getting at this point is a black ghost knife fish. thanks again.
I always seem to be the bearer of bad news, but I only have the welfare of your fish and your success at heart.

A Black Ghost Knifefish brings many issues. This is not a community fish in the normal sense, and it requires some very specific aquascaping to keep it healthy. Also, a very large tank. The spine is inflexible, so for the fish to be able to turn it needs a tank that is wider (front to back) that it is, and at least three times longer than the fish. And this fish attains 20 inches (or will if properly cared for) it requires a tank 6 feet by 2 feet. I can detail more if asked.

If you do get female gourami, no less than three, preferably four, or you will almost certainly have problems.

Byron.

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
I always seem to be the bearer of bad news, but I only have the welfare of your fish and your success at heart.

A Black Ghost Knifefish brings many issues. This is not a community fish in the normal sense, and it requires some very specific aquascaping to keep it healthy. Also, a very large tank. The spine is inflexible, so for the fish to be able to turn it needs a tank that is wider (front to back) that it is, and at least three times longer than the fish. And this fish attains 20 inches (or will if properly cared for) it requires a tank 6 feet by 2 feet. I can detail more if asked.

If you do get female gourami, no less than three, preferably four, or you will almost certainly have problems.

Byron.
Very true, I saw some pitiful looking black knife fish in malaysia crammed into 40 and 60g tanks, no room to turn around. They eventually stopped eating and died (owners were friends of my family whom I see every time I visit). I told them repeatedly to give them to somebody with a proper sized tank, but they either couldn't afford it or couldn't be bothered. Granted they paid like four canadian dollars or twelve malaysian ringitt for it (one of the many problems I have with the aquarium trade in asia, besides overstocked tanks and poor treatment both during travel and during keeping by both stores and owners)

Big fish need big tanks. Its disappointing, but you just have to deal with it. Otherwise the poor creature gets stunted, its' organs won't grow properly and it dies a miserable, painful death. Which is something almost nothing deserves (except mosquitoes, biting flies, earwigs and cockroaches IMO)

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
So I don't plan on getting a black ghost knife fish. I do plan on getting more female gourami and silver dollars. I guess I'll just have to deal with the pleco when he becomes too large. For know, hes a favorite. In the future I'll go with a different species of pleco. Thanks everyone for the advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store