Gravel on top of flourite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
did you get a drop checker? i don't remember. i think you said you would. that and the diy co2 should be good there. i would swap out the excel for the comprehensive for now. if you have algae issues in the future then the excel can come in handy then.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I really don't see any difference in dosing flourish vs. dry ferts...they are practically the same thing, just one is packaged in a liquid form with a brand name.

Seachem does however make it a little easier to dose, as they have fairly broad recommendations.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
i wouldnt. you need to have your macro nutrients NPK. those are in comprehensive.
i would use comprehensive, trace, and excel. you dont need to have excel when you have co2, but i use both in one of my tanks and it does wonders

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
So your saying I don't need iron now? I'm gonna start out with liquid then if I think I should, I'll go dry

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
did you get a drop checker? i don't remember. i think you said you would. that and the diy co2 should be good there. i would swap out the excel for the comprehensive for now. if you have algae issues in the future then the excel can come in handy then.
I'm buying the red sea one today :)

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Mono Potassium Phosphate
Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 lb. KH2PO4
$ 5.001+ / -X$ 5.00Potassium Sulfate
Potassium Sulfate 1 lb. K2SO4
$ 3.001+ / -X$ 3.00Potassium Nitrate
Potassium Nitrate 1 lb. KNO3
$ 3.001+ / -X$ 3.00Total:$ 11.00
What if I just bought thoes? They would last me a year....or should I just start with the liquid and then go to dry?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
10- 20 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/8 tsp KN03 (N) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp KH2P04 (P) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp (2ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

taken from here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/15225-estimative-index-dosing-guide.html

kh2po4 contains phosphorous and is used to dose that and potassium if you are low on each.
k2so4 is used to dose potassium.
kno3 is used to dose nitrates which your fish ideally should provide unless you stock low to intermediate.
plantex csm+b is used to dose micros and will replace flourish trace and comprehensive for the most part. DO NOT overlook that one.

since you are already considering going dry i would get a pound of barr's gh booster while you're at it. it's good just in case you have issues with your water supply. if you need to use r/o, distilled or bottled water you can always match your water with a little calculation and get through bad times. don't forget baking soda if your kh is low also.

one tablespoon of either kh2po4 or csm+b (trace) can be mixed with water to make a 250ml bottle of stock solution. a tablespoon doesn't even dent the pound you'll recieve in the mail. compare that to the price of seachem products and you'll see a major difference in price over the longrun.

also i believe on aquariumfertilizer.com if you get 5 1lb items the shipping doesn't increase. that can save you a buck in the longrun so i'm all for it.

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ok thanks....Maybe I'll just START out with the liquid trace, flouris0h, flourish excel, and iron, and when they run out, I'll get dry. (that will give me more time to figure things out too)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store